Super Jump Glitch
3 years ago
Maryland, USA

How do you do the super jump glitch where the screen freezes for a sec and then you jump really high? I saw toastmanguy does it in track 1 of his any% run and TheEmeraldEgg does it on his IL run of track 1. I found this on the extreme tux racer page, but I can't seem to get it to work on the normal tux racer. https://www.speedrun.com/extreme_tux_racer/guide/kqpgu

Maryland, USA

Nevermind, I figure it out. For future people who might be interested, basically right after you jump you hit the screenshot button (default was '=' for me but I changed it to 's'). The screen will then lag as the game takes a screenshot but your momentum will continue upward during the lag. Pressing it multiple times increases the amount of time the screen stays lagged for, and I think it also increases the momentum you gain.

United States

Future people interested in the game should know that this is a bug that varies depending on your hardware and how you run the game (i.e. "pressing the screenshot button to do this" is indicative of a slow hard drive). As such, it has been considered banned as per the rules.

Edited by the author 1 year ago
Maryland, USA

Hm, that's strange. When did the vote on this rule change happen? I must have missed it.

United States

There wasn't a proper vote. A vote could be done but I feel like this is hard to contest. A leaderboard for a GBA game doesn't allow a glitch that only happens under Visual Boy Advance, no? A bug that only happens if the game lags is a bit hard to justify allowing, especially given that this is mostly a game run on PC.

It is unfair of me to do a ban without the vote of the community though (although, again, the community is five people, and not very active). I'm more then happy to do a vote, but - at the risk of sounding overconfident - I don't think such a vote would go in favor of the ban being lifted.

Edited by the author 1 year ago
Maryland, USA

So you really think the runners with the top 4 out of 6 times in the game would vote to have their times removed? I am highly doubtful of that. Also I'm not really understanding your VBA analogy as that's an emulator vs real hardware issue and we are talking about a glitch that occurs on real hardware. Assuming you are right about it being a slow hard drive issue (which I am also doubtful of as I have a pretty fast hard drive and had no problem doing the glitch), there's strong precedent in lots of other games for allowing hard drive specific glitches. Like there are Xbox games where a specific Xbox model is recommended because the hard drive used in that iteration makes the trick easier. If anything you would just make two different categories, one that allows super jumps and one that doesn't. At the end of the day, like you said the community is small and not very active and I'm not super invested in this board, but it just seemed weird to me that you would unilaterally ban a glitch used in the majority of the runs on the board without consulting anyone

United States

I don't agree with this but I probably should not ban this without a vote. I will lift the ban and later hold a vote for it (probably when this actually comes up in a run).

Montgomeryshire, Wales

I only just found out about new replies to this thread now so apologies for the delay in my response. There has been no current rule changes as regards to the Super Jump Glitch and no discussions have yet taken place to ban the glitch either.

As of writing this reply, the Super Jump Glitch is allowed in runs but should this change there will be an announcement about it. In any case, whilst I cannot comment on what may happen in the future following discussions, I personally find it unlikely such a glitch would be banned.

United States

Wanted to correct myself btw, it seems that screenshotting - at least in 0.61 - IS a consistent setup, and it makes sense when you consider that you have to mash the button. This definitely seems less situation dependent to me.

Game stats
Followers
Runs
Players
Latest news
1.1 runs now allowed

Runs of the commercial, closed source "1.1" version of the game are now allowed.

This version of the game has entirely different levels and should honestly have its own leaderboard, but the speedrun.com moderators told me to contact the moderator of this board to get clearance on whether the 1.1

1 year ago
Moderators