Speed of the run depends on framerate
1 year ago
Germany

So it seems stirring and other stuff is definitely dependent on frame rate, reported on Discord here: https://discord.com/channels/801182992793075743/1052595884573085746

This means people with better hardware that can deliver 240 FPS will have faster runs, because stirring is faster. I cannot get more than 120 FPS while stirring, so I can say goodbye to that No. 1 spot on the list.

So I guess possible approaches are 1) Nothing changes and I can forget about speedrunning this game, or 2) We add a rule that fixes the framerate cap to something reasonable (I would suggest 60 FPS) or 3) we can make separate leaderboards based on framerate cap (like the current board becomes no-cap and then we make 60 FPS as a separate board) or 4) "Chapter 1 (60FPS)" etc become new categories or 5) we at least note the framerate cap on the submission.

That is until hopefully this bug gets fixed and game speed does not depend on frame rate. I mean come on, that is one of the first things I learned when making my first 2D game.

Thoughts?

Zerfaru likes this
Antarctica

I am very sure you are right. If I limit my fps to 30 it feels like its in slowmotion compared to 240. In my PB I had pretty good fps (around 140 or so) which is the reason why its so fast but I myself cant replicate that most of the time even when I play very good. I think having a 60 fps and a no-cap category seems like the best solution.

Centre, France

I agree with the rule of a 60 FPS limit. The runner will have to show their settings before the start of the run I guess and activate "show FPS" ?

Edited by the author 1 year ago
doukou likes this
Antarctica

I think having „show FPS“ the whole run on would be enough as one could easily see if the FPS go above 60 or not. Showing the settings before every run would be annoying for the shorter runs in my opinion, unless you show them after the run. But this is something for the Mods to decide I guess.

Germany

I'm glad there is some interest in 60 FPS capped runs. I think the rule should be to enable "show fps", that should be enough proof.

United States

The update they released this month seems to fix this.

Bug fixes:

• Most game mechanics are now framerate independent. It means that everything will work the same on different hardware as originally intended.

• The Haggling mini-game speed is now framerate independent. Changing FPS to 30 won’t make it easier (sorry!), but it will now work the same for everyone.

Germany

Yes, it does! What should happen to the leaderboard? Keep it like this, with times that are unbeatable in the current version? Make separate leaderboards? Or delist old versions? I kinda wanna run again now that conditions are more fair.

Game stats
Followers
Runs
Players
Latest threads
Posted 1 year ago
2 replies
Posted 1 year ago
Posted 1 year ago
2 replies
Posted 1 year ago
2 replies