Credibility
6 months ago
United Kingdom

Hello wacky racers !!

I see we're making a groovy Sega Saturn leaderboard !!

That's crazawesome & I hope y'all all go out there & play it !!

I want to talk about credibility, it bothers me! If you want to make this game credible, make sure the best runs are credible! Please be transparent when submitting an elite level run. Be fair to your fellow wacky racers! If your good at a game, you should have no issues showing your live controller inputs. If you've got nothing to hide you'll happily show yourself scratching your butt (Jfred), picking your nose (GemmaE) or smashing your controller (Marceau !!) at 293.

It bothers me doing elite runs against players who show nothing when playing the game & are having their runs validated. I see Marceau & Gemma both showing video cameras & controller inputs. Me, Jfred & new guy Nimm_One show video camera of the physical controller in our hands! Then we have Stella_Blue, whose only run is of an elite level, showing neither. 2 years ago I was playing, having fun, but after watching TokenTravesty stream I saw Stella_Blue talk about using computer mouses to steer the car. After that I quit, it left a horrible taste in my mouth, becuase I'm sat playing with a real console. There's so much ambiguity & manipulation that can be hidden. It's embarrassing. If you're one of these players, do us all a favour, get lost. Thanks!

I hope the moderators who care enough to spend time investigating my runs, played on real Sega hardware, the way Sega intended the game to be played, care enough to properly vet the elite level runs posted on this leaderboard!

Smell ya later, wacky racers !! I'm off to the groovy Sega Saturn section !!

Canada

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE!!!

@AlphaNerd and myself have been saying things along those lines this for about a year now. He's been a more verbal & direct about this than me and got in trouble but should be back later this month.

Again, COULDN'T AGREE MORE with everything you said here.

Croatia

While I can understand some of your points, I don't get it why we're talking about run credibility right now?

The thing that happened recently was the board split. The reason for that is because the game versions (Saturn and Arcade) are different, which I demonstrated in the previous thread (Saturn version handling) and everyone was able to share their thoughts before the split happened. My thread was visible there for 24 days.

I also tried to reach you to join the discussion because you're one of the two top Saturn runners, and you were not responding to my SRC message or my YT comments on your videos. I succesfully reached Marceau and he agreed with the split (which we can still discuss AND even undo if there's merit for it), but the handling is different in the two versions - which is a fact, and yes - I played OutRun on a real cabinet. While I never played it on the original Saturn hardware, I saw corners done on Saturn that are not possible on Arcade or Arcade emulators).

And I'm still inviting you to join that discussion, Shiro. It's better to discuss it now than hold a grudge and talk about it later when another unrelated subject is going to be discussed again.

Your number 1 time is still number one on Saturn, it's probably gonna stay like that for a while and you don't have to compete with Stella_Blue at all.

And while asking people to play on real hardware might be possible for Saturn, I really don't see how it could possibly apply to the Arcade version (merged with Saturn or separated, doesn't matter) - we would have 2-3 runs on a real cabinet, and that's in the best case scenario.

Jck and GemmaEuphoria like this
United Kingdom

Yo Obiiwan,

Why are you ranting about the board split? Do it!

You've completely ignored what I was talking about! You've put a lot of words in my mouth. Don't do that.

My post was about having legitimate elite runs on the leaderboard.

You're the caretaker of this leaderboard. If you care it's your job to ensure fairness.

United States

All of my Out Run performances are 100% legitimate.

There are several control setups for playing the game: keyboard, mouse, joystick, controller, steering wheel, etc.

I happen to use a keyboard and mouse combination:

Accelerator = Left Shift Key

Steering = Mouse X-Axis

Gear Shift = Mouse Left-Click

Brake Pedal = Mouse Right-Click

I currently use WolfMAME Version 220. My high scores and/or fastest times have been submitted to both Twin Galaxies and MARP (MAME Action Replay Page), where my INP files are readily available for inspection by experts.

I do not own a webcam, nor do I intend to acquire one. If not showing my hands on video is going to be a major issue, then simply reject my submissions. Sorry if my preferred setup leaves a "horrible taste" in anyone's mouth, but I will not be changing my approach.

Edited by the author 6 months ago
Jck and GemmaEuphoria like this
United Kingdom

You don't gain credibility by saying you're credible. You don't gain credibility talking in some professor style analytical way. You don't gain credibility through association to some other entity. We gain credibility by being straightforward, easy to deal with, leading my example, not hiding anything. being honest is so easy when you've got nothing to hide. Your defensive rant says everything.

By the way. Thanks for confirming. You use a computer mouse to steer your vehicle. It's impossible to recreate this type of precision steering on an analogue stick, let alone a d-pad. The precision holding of turns is ridiculous. Hardly fair game is it. Refer to the recent forum post. This is what I mean about transparency.

You're way out of line here, Shiromar. You don't gain credibility by being disrespectful to other runners and trying to turn your personal gripes into community drama. Why don't you submit some 'elite level' runs using keyboard and mouse if you're so butt-hurt about it?

Canada

If I may, I'd suggest everyone to calm down.

Like I said, I think Shiromar raises valid concerns, however, the bottom line is, this leaderboard can and will stay as is and that's okay.

I'm not a fan of drama when it goes out of hand like this. Personally, I'm in this community for fun and to make friends first and foremost and this is neither. I like everyone in this community and this is sad to see everyone get so upset.

United Kingdom

Hello Gemma! Over my dead body will I be seen using a computer mouse to play this game! Imagine that on camera setting a world record run!

I've raised my points about fairness. If y'all care about the game, you care about fairness!

See ya on Sega Saturn, if you guys dare!

Canada

I believe using a mouse probably gives a precision advantage, especially since the analogue thumbstick can be very tricky to handle on OutRun Arcade.

Not gonna lie, I would also feel horrible using a mouse to play this game, personally, but that's just me. I'm surprised Twin Galaxies allows it, they usually ban that kind of stuff.

Again, it is what it is. I'm personally cool with everyone here and I hope everyone is cool with me too. I suggest to just move the Saturn runs to the Saturn leaderboard ASAP and move on from this discussion.

Sweden

There are a couple of different discussions going on here, so I want to share my opinions.

1. I’m sad that the board splits, but if the Saturn has such an advantage I respect the decision.

2. I think you should be allowed to use any peripherals you want. I’ve moved from controller to keyboard in other games.

3. I don’t think anyone here is trying to cheat or hide something. But it’s better for the board if the runners shows enough, so it’s easy for a viewer to tell it apart from a TAS. It’s not only about technical proof, but to give the run a legit feel for the viewers.

United Kingdom

Hey guys !! I need help from y'all emulator boffins! Halp !!

I wanted to give Yakuza & Shenmue versions a go, however my preferred controller option, Razer Deathadder V3 Pro 30,000 DPI computer mouse isn't compatible. Very disappointing. This leaves me with only one choice, I have to play on Emulation, on my computer! So I've hooked up my $400 30k DPI mouse & made this kickass macro, which I bound to the one of the side-buttons, it performs a perfect 293 boost start everytime. Helps a ton! I know it's not really in the spirit of competition, but no one will ever know, and besides we're allowed to make up our own rules! The last piece of the puzzle is the emulator itself. I need help understanding what is the best emulator to use! I need one that allows me to manipulate the game beyond what was possible back in 1986, frame-rate is something that really interests me!

Alright, jokes aside I'm trying to make a serious point in this thread. Sad that Obiiwan & GemmaE (before she deleted her account) didn't even acknowledge my original point. By ignoring things & not setting boundaries it's a green light people to make up their own rules & do whatever they want.

Croatia

That's the point. The rules are there and if they're not broken, it's not tolerable to accuse others of cheating, especially not in the way how you did right there. You can't put new rules and retroactively take down old runs and runners that did not do this extra step that was originally not mandatory at all (goes for both the camera and the mouse controls).

Discussing whether mouse controls give an advantage in certain situations and wether it should be accepted is another story. Not my preffered way of play either, but I doubt I could beat my own times using a mouse.

Now you 're going with this macro for a fast acceleration trick argument, really? Why would anyone macro for a 282 km/h start?

I think you're half way there with realizing how innapropriate this whole crusade of yours is since you mentioned that you're noticing other people not wanting to be a part of these discussions and leaving the site.

Calling it cheating is way overboard here, I thought I didn't have to say it and that a voice of reason coming from a player that is not a moderator (Nimn_One) would be enough for you. Not sure what to say anymore. Please keep these discussions on a respectful, civilised and polite level.

United Kingdom

Yo Obiiwan !!

Can you tell me where I accused anyone of cheating, precisely?

& can you be clear & tell everyone whether you're going to allow the use of computer mouses to play the game.

It's important we all know, because it'll mean to even have a chance to beat the Goal D time we're gonna need to use a controller option not remotely indicative of what SEGA intended to use to play the game, becuase you say so.

And if the answer is no, and you allow common sense & spirit of compeition to prevail, are you going to reject both Stella_Blues runs played with computer mouses or are you going to do nothing & let them remain.

Thanks !! Have a groovy Sunday y'all !! 👌👌