This is a TAS I made a little while back. Just wanted to show the exact inputs. There's a little bit of time left on the table apparently lol.
"Official Published TAS (UPDATED!)" - 8:43 (8:55 TAS Timing)
2 second improvement over the previous one. This includes the faster mallet grab and some frame saves in the final battle.
I'd be excited to watch a completely glitchless run of this!
“2Key Route V3” - 9:05
Pretty much the same as the previous versions. In V3, both the faster mallet grab and the faster ice room strats are used. Also, new Taguchi movements in the dungeon area that were borrowed from the official TAS.
“2Key Route V2” - 9:08
Pretty much the same exact time as V1. This one goes for the ice room slide which is slightly faster. This also has Emi split off to grab the mallet which is a safer strat, but slower. So everything pretty much evens out.
Ice room strats (for Board Glitch category):
After grabbing the rope, you can choose to either go back down and use it to get across to the blue candle, or you can slide down the ice. It is slightly faster to slide down but I think it is riskier to go for.
Mallet grab strats (for Board Glitch category):
So it seems like bringing Akiko and Kazuo with you is faster, but it's much riskier as there's more of a chance of Kazuo and Akiko going off-grid if Emi moves too fast when turning. Overall, it saves more than a second due to less menuing from splitting and teaming back up.
Upside-down Zombie grind step counter tip:
Make sure to stay to the right when grinding here. The 3 tiles surrounding the wood stump on the left are no-encounter tiles.
Hey! Not sure this will be helpful or not, but just wanted to share the inputs I used to get the wall clip and moai skip.
Hey everyone!
I’ve decided I am going to combine the Japan & English runs together for each category soon. This will make the board look a lot cleaner and will be more competitive for any potential new runners. The version used in the run will be selectable in the submission form and visible on the leaderboard.
Yes, I know that there are some slight accuracy differences with the English patches, mostly relating to the text and text boxes. Also, in the 2016 version, you are able to take control of Kazuo a bit sooner at the beginning of the game. Despite all of that, I believe in an RTA setting none of this will really matter.
I still recommend running the original Japanese version if you are able to. Gaijin would be preferred over the 2016 version if you plan on running an English patch.
Let me know your thoughts,
Thank you!
Here's my commentary / walkthrough / tutorial for my 13:10 run which uses the "2 Key Route". Be sure to check out the theory TAS in the TAS thread as well.
Ok, I've done it! The board looks a lot cleaner now!
The only thing I'm not sure how to do is add another annotation to just the English tab to state which translation was used. I was able to do this for the Defeat An Armor category because there was no sub category for that. If anyone knows, please let me know how to do that. For now, when submitting just say which patch you've used. (even if you don't, I can easily tell just by looking at the title screen).
I'm still considering combining the Japanese and English versions together at some point. Although there are accuracy differences, in an RTA setting, I don't think it will matter all that much. For now I'll leave it like this, but will let everyone know when I decide to do that.
I'm also going to go through all of the runs (especially the older ones) and make sure the timing is correct.
Ok, I’ve done some more thinking and research about this.
Here’s what I’m proposing:
For the main 3 categories (Glitchless, Dynamo Skip, Board Glitch) we’ll have a Japanese tab and a Translation tab. Due to some accuracy differences, I still have to keep these separate to be fair. In the Translation tab when submitting a run, you would just select either Gaijin or 2016 and it will be visible on the leaderboard. Any runs using either English translation that are already on the leaderboard will be consolidated in their respective categories. If there are any runners that have both a Gaijin and a 2016 run in the same category, the better of the two runs will be shown.
Since Defeat An Armor is just a misc category and not a full game run, I will leave that as is and not be too strict about it. Just select whether you’ve used the Japanese, Gaijin, or 2016 version.
If anyone has any additional thoughts let me know. If nobody opposes, in about a week or so I will go ahead and consolidate the English translated tabs into one. The Japanese tabs will remain unchanged.
I’m looking forward to more interest and competition in this game! Defeat An Armor is a great introduction category for the Glitchless route. An updated Board Glitch tutorial based on my 13min run will be made soon so more people can learn the latest route.
Hey Zarc, I agree with you. I've been thinking about this for a while as it does look a little confusing. A couple of years ago when I was added as a mod, this is what everyone agreed to at that time so I organized the board the way it looks now.
I do think it needs to be consolidated / updated to be more attractive to new runners. The way I recently set up the “Defeat An Armor” category where you can see what version was used is much better looking than having the separated variables. I personally wouldn’t mind having the Japanese version and both translations on the same leaderboards for all of the categories. I would actually prefer it this way as it will look simpler. But at the very least, having a Japanese and one Translated variable (with selectable option stating which translation was used) would also be fine with me.
If anyone else has any opinion on this, please let me know. I would love for more people to run this game, so I’m down for whatever would be best for attracting some new runners and competition here.
Only issue is, I may need some help re-organizing / consolidating the boards… I’ve been the only active mod here since I was added.
You can now select the version in the submission so it will appear on the leaderboard!
Right now, Sweet Home is one of the games featured in the NES Big 20 event! The goal is to defeat one of the Armor enemies. I’d like to add this as an official category as I think it is a fun introduction to the glitchless route and may encourage more players to learn the rest of the run. Let me know what you guys think!
If it is added, I would like to keep the starting time consistent with the rest of the categories (gain control / first movement of Kazuo), and the ending time will be on black screen after Armor is defeated. Millisecond times may be needed if runs are close.
Most people will probably be playing on the Gaijin translation since the Big 20 features this version, but I would still allow the 2016 translation and the original Japanese version of course. Maybe instead of having separate tabs like the other categories, the runner will just state which version they used in their submission description.
Let me know your thoughts and if nobody opposes, I’ll just go ahead and add it!
Thanks!
Ok, so not 100% of the time, but I'm noticing a somewhat consistent pattern...
If Kazuo does 122 damage to the Zombie, Taguchi will receive the vacuum and a glitched item. Kazuo's lighter usually gets replaced with a log too. For whatever reason, this item shuffling pattern gives worse enemy RNG. A lot of saves and resets will need to be done to prevent glitched party members from messing up your run.
If Kazuo does 123 damage to the Zombie, Taguchi will receive Emi's key and a pitchfork. This item shuffling pattern seems to have better enemy RNG. I've also had better luck with Kazuo doing 4000 damage to instakill enemies. Although, when going for Amulet glitch, the instakills don't seem to happen anymore.
I'm still not sure what exact actions are needed for Kazuo to keep his lighter or for Emi to keep her key. Those never seem consistent no matter what I try. I think it's just luck. Maybe what frame you start the battle on? Or perhaps something else...

United States















