Kommentare
JapanCarcinogenSDA11 years ago

Deckard - I got rid of the PAL 50hz category because there were too many and I wanted to truncate it. For the sake of making these boards look cleaner and to encourage competition, there needs to be fewer categories. Nobody was running it seriously nor submitting times. The only time submitted here was by AndehX and he said I could take it down a long time ago, but I didn't do anything until now because i was expecting people to run it. I figured nobody would miss it, because 99% of the PAL region players here are more than willing to run PC or Emu (and DO run PC, emu, or even import NTSC-J).

I dunno where you got the information that emulators were not accepted here, but PLEASE, look again, because there IS an emulator category for PS1. As a community, we've accepted emulator runs since 2013 on the old wiki. There was a period where that didn't happen, but that was my bad because I was too narrow-minded to see how emulator runs and console runs could co-exist.

Poopfist - Actually, in the case of RE2, the game runs at 30FPS on NTSC and 25FPS on PAL. Same math, but the universal constant is that PAL runs 5/6ths as fast as NTSC. Certain assets are sped up or slowed down in order to adapt to the framerate when developers make the PAL port, as NTSC logic and PAL logic are different. If you played the PAL version at 60Hz without a 60Hz mode, then the game would run at 30FPS but things like music and certain animations would run too fast.

Liv - There isn't a point since we're all using game timer for everything. We can still figure this out anyway though, for the sake of discussion, and because I don't know anything about it either: the PAL timer does run differently, but RE2 NTSC's in game timer DOES factor in the skipped cutscenes. 50 minute RTA Leon A is the same game timer as 1:05 IGT Leon A whether you skipped the cutscenes or not. Has anyone done a speedrun on PAL without skipping cutscenes to confirm this?

JapanCarcinogenSDA11 years ago

It was my idea to force in doorskip mod boards due to tensions about not having a doorskip category at the time, but most of the competition wound up being in the No Doorskip board anyway because it's the unmodified way to run. The people who wanted the boards wound up not running the game seriously; nobody is optimizing them. I think a lot of these players run No Doorskips anyway.

So, in an effort to tidy things up and encourage competition to be in one place, should we eliminate them?

I would say "yes".

JapanCarcinogenSDA11 years ago

Here's a 56:42 I got on All Scenarios Normal Offline about 4 years ago. I wanna post it on the leaderboard. It would be a WR, but the thing is, I edited out the loads because I played on Disc and the loads were like 15 seconds each.

I never posted this run up on the Wiki because I didn't want to create a double standard where I could just break the rules I put in place. I thought I would ask here though, if you guys thought it'd be OK. It's a run that wouldn't be too terribly hard to beat, probably improvable by like 3 minutes or something at least. That much, you can tell from the play quality; I didn't splice this run (you can't spoof IGT on a console anyway without going to great lengths) but I'm leaving it up to y'all's discretion.

Here's the video.

Squidies, Lyseria, und uhTrance gefällt das.
JapanCarcinogenSDA11 years ago

You can't use the Hawk Emblem on the gate, but this is useful for carrying BOW gas and Flames.

Rheinmetall, Leojokerhart und 2 Andere gefällt das.
JapanCarcinogenSDA11 years ago

Shut up, Trance :(

Yeah, Liv, I see that, and it'd be up to Zenix if he wanted to recategorize his run as just a regular glitched for the sake of altering categories or not.

I think it'd be a fun addition to the lineup.

JapanCarcinogenSDA11 years ago

Why not just combine S-Rank and Glitchless into the same category? Then the route would be radically different enough to justify having both these stipulations.

-Save Rodrigo -Grenades on Tyrant -Sniper on Nosferatu -No Green Herbs

JapanCarcinogenSDA11 years ago

Dudley once mentioned to me that there were two PlayStation versions. This wasn't apparent to me that there were actual speedrunning differences until I ran Nemesis%.

Obviously we're not going to split cats between these versions, but in order to help facilitate finding the better versions of the game to run, let's talk more.

Other ppl have apparently run 1.1 on emu and might be able to help me.

Here are my findings.

I have the Japanese PS1 disc, it is a 1.0 I also have the Japanese PSN version, it is 1.1

1.0

  • Nemesis 5 has an extra corner bug, which allows for consistent Eagle crits and no damage with only a little extra positioning and aiming.
  • Music Box puzzle is randomized

1.1; this is the version that is used as a base for every subsequent port, including Bio3 Mediakite

  • Corner hang patched (had to use Flames against Nemesis 5 instead)
  • Music Box puzzle solution is locked to UUDDUU.

This correct?

NemesisXploder gefällt das.
JapanCarcinogenSDA11 years ago

Unlocked this thread so people can ask about what they see, to elaborate. Visual shows you how to do things, but there's other nonvisual cues or very minute things to pay attention to that you can't catch by just watching the video.

LocoJoe, KrisTehDerp und 2 Andere gefällt das.
JapanCarcinogenSDA11 years ago

Poopfist -

Find the registry entry to disable FMVs. I don't remember where to find it off the top of my head, but it should have "movies" or something in the entry. You just set it from "1" to "0" and it'll turn off FMVs. There's no problem with doing that for speedrunning, since turning off FMVs is considered a compatibility fix.

As for sound shutting off in 1.1, I usually do a hard reset of the game every attempt for that reason. If you play the game for too long, the game's sound engine just crashes and eventually you're left playing through the rest of the game without audio.

God damn Bio2 PC sucks

JapanCarcinogenSDA11 years ago

Seriously, that's a problem with the game. But really, this is why you should be going by IGT to begin with, because it is a better metric for this game than RTA. The community just kind-of defaulted to RTA because there is no final results screen, when really it's just a simple matter of adding all the IGTs for every chapter end.

JapanCarcinogenSDA11 years ago

it's pretty funny how the last area unloaded and tried to load the next area, but the floor collision wasn't loaded. He just fell through the ground Bugs Bunny style a second later. HA.

JapanCarcinogenSDA11 years ago

Fair warning Trance, if you get a PAL PS3 you're not going to be able to play NTSC games on it.

The main disadvantage I can think of is how fucking boring it is loading from a disc. Get an NTSC PS2 with a hard drive and use FreeMcBoot or just play it on PCSX2 instead.

JapanCarcinogenSDA11 years ago

It's confirmed faster?

Eleval was saying "no", but I never bothered to do the research. I can't shake the routine of going to Kenneth and going back to the main hall, it's fucking hard when you've done it literally 10,000 times.

JapanCarcinogenSDA11 years ago

Well that would explain why 1:27. LMAO

JapanCarcinogenSDA11 years ago

Glitches: The entire game Skips: Chuck it in the garbage can

Phatzo, rozukk und 4 Andere gefällt das.
JapanCarcinogenSDA11 years ago

You're playing the Japanese version.

Drop the knife, don't pick up the shotgun.

Practice dodging.

Heal with green herbs and FASes. Ignore your rank, rank doesn't matter for speedruns.

The only gun you should pick up is the Magnum, no upgrades.

Do these things without practicing and you'll have sub-hour within 3 days.

JapanCarcinogenSDA11 years ago

also

  1. Next to the ganado throwing the dynamite after the boulder, would shooting the tripwire to the mine be any faster since it's a more direct line to the final door?
JapanCarcinogenSDA11 years ago

So I was told that as long as I stand behind the pile of wood to kill the two Ganado in the village, that the second wave would spawn at the far end.

That worked. They spawned. Two other questions I have

  1. What causes the cutscene to trigger after throwing the grenade down the ladder? Do all the ganado just spawn there or do they pile there to take turns climbing up the ladder?

  2. Someone told me you could pick up the pendant before it drops into the pile of poo (read: without shooting the lid down) in the next area. Is that possible?

CarcinogenSDA Informationen
Beigetreten
11 years ago
Online
1 day ago
Läufe
48
Gespielte Spiele
Resident Evil
Resident Evil
Letzter Durchlauf 2 years ago
12
Läufe
Resident Evil (Remake)
Resident Evil (Remake)
Letzter Durchlauf 5 years ago
10
Läufe
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 2
Letzter Durchlauf 4 years ago
5
Läufe
Resident Evil HD Remaster (Steam)
Resident Evil HD Remaster (Steam)
Letzter Durchlauf 5 years ago
5
Läufe
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Letzter Durchlauf 9 years ago
4
Läufe
Resident Evil 2 Category Extensions
Resident Evil 2 Category Extensions
Letzter Durchlauf 8 years ago
4
Läufe
Resident Evil: Survivor
Resident Evil: Survivor
Letzter Durchlauf 3 years ago
2
Läufe
Resident Evil: Outbreak
Resident Evil: Outbreak
Letzter Durchlauf 8 years ago
2
Läufe
Beobachtete Spiele
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 2 (2024)
Letzter Besuch 1 year ago
4
Besuche
ULTRAKILL
ULTRAKILL
Letzter Besuch 1 month ago
6
Besuche
Parasite Eve
Parasite Eve
Letzter Besuch 11 months ago
3
Besuche
Resident Evil (Remake)
Resident Evil (Remake)
Letzter Besuch 9 months ago
432
Besuche
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 2
Letzter Besuch 6 months ago
1,463
Besuche
Resident Evil 2 Category Extensions
Resident Evil 2 Category Extensions
Letzter Besuch 11 months ago
45
Besuche
Dead Space
Dead Space
Letzter Besuch 11 months ago
5
Besuche
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
Letzter Besuch 3 years ago
17
Besuche