Rules Explanation/Clarification
11 months ago
United States
tickytac
She/Her, They/Them
11 months ago

This post is to give further explanation/clarification on some of the rules if you might be confused

"No players may leave or join at ANY point during the run for ANY reason"

This one should be pretty straight forward. The reason this is in place is because if this wasn't a rule, then a player could leave and rejoin instead of having to go all the way to pad if its faster. Rec Room's servers and peoples' connection are pretty inconsistent, so we want to make it fair to people who have worse internet. Also, someone could leave after the first act and still get credit for the run even if they didn't contribute whatsoever.

"Joking around during a run and trying to make a run longer than it needs to be is not allowed. A speedrun should be an attempt to go as fast as you can"

This is if you are sitting around or talking, and drastically making the run longer than it needs to be. If maybe it wasn't entirely intended to be a speedrun but you mainly stay on task, then it's fine. It would be pretty useless to have a run that isn't a speedrun on the speedrun leaderboards.

"You are not allowed to abuse the size of your playspace to move faster in a run, though you ARE allowed to glitchwalk (leaning and in-game turning). Usually if you take a step or two here and there it's fine but if you're constantly walking and you rely on it or are performing a trick that can only be done on large playspaces, thats when it crosses the line."

This rule is put in place to make sure that people with huge playspaces don't have an unfair advantage. Not everyone can have access to a huge area to play VR in.

"Do not use system recalibration during runs. Examples: OVR Advanced Settings, PSVR recalibration, Quest recalibration, and others of the sort to get through walls or move faster is prohibited."

The reason this rule is in place is because recalibration varies from platform to platform. Some platforms can recalibrate instantly, while others have to wait a few seconds. Also this can kind of encourage playspace abuse, because if you recalibrate further away from your center, then you can get further.

"Your height cannot be lower than 4'0(121cm) or higher than 6'3(190cm). You ARE allowed to alter your height, as long as you stay within that range, and don't change height mid run."

Before this, the rule was that you couldn't alter your height at all. This was a big issue because first, it could be really hard to tell if someone was height abusing or if they were just tall, which would lead to lots of annoying back and forth cases between mods and runners. And second, because players who were just naturally born taller had an advantage, because they got to take advantage of being tall and it wasn't against the rules, and the shorter players had to deal with being at a disadvantage from being shorter. The two main advantages of being tall come from being able to avoid enemies because you're taller than them, and you also teleport considerably further. This is from an experiment from a while ago, where I did 10 teleports at different heights, and compared how far i went. Every square is about 1 meter: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/967238814915526659/1103105618266554408/teleport_distance_picture_35.jpg

Edited by the author 11 months ago
Philippines

Crazy

tickytac likes this
West Midlands, England

Okay as a screen mode I will change my height

Fusi and tickytac like this
Netherlands

I have a question.

In the future i might want to do a few screen-mode runs, but i need to know if it's allowed to have inventory keys (1, 2, 3) bound to mouse buttons (specifically M4 and/or M5)

I did it with "Logitech G" software since rec room doesn't have control settings (at least i didn't find any)

I got really used to using mouse buttons to do weapon switching and i was just wondering if i can use it. (I can adapt to keyboard, it's not like a muscle or disease issue)

United States
tickytac
She/Her, They/Them
11 months ago

@Walter_ i'd say its fine, because it doesn't give you a big advantage or anything

United Kingdom

I shall apply this information to my screen mode solos.

Also the average mass of a Rec Roomian is 0<m<inf

CH4RM3R likes this
Game stats
Followers
Runs
Players
Latest news
New World Scale Rule

We the mod team have made a decision that we believe is in the best interest of the entire community. In order to maintain integrity and fairness in competition, we are implementing a new requirement for top runs on our leaderboards.

For leaderboards with fewer than 25 runs, the top 3 runs will be

5 months ago
Latest threads