Kommentare
Thread: The Site
United StatesZenicReverie8 years ago

@pentaleks if you want to assume the worst in people, then assume it's easy enough to create an account to post a bounty and then renege without consequence. A trusted third-party escrow service is the best way to ensure payouts are real. I don't know if the community of bounty offerings or seekers is really that big to support it. Someone would have to maintain a database of money per goal, be aware of possible overlaps for combining pools, and allow for withdrawal after some time deciding what to do if the person who made the bounty is unreachable for confirming a video or explanation meets their requirements.

As for cheating, yeah, that's going to be a problem to figure out. Even with live events, unless the person offering the bounty is present, there's another level of trust for the people at the event. Imagine some TG level of collusion coming out if this got big.

NihilistComedyHour gefällt das.
Thread: The Site
United StatesZenicReverie8 years ago

Game forums are the best place to discuss the games. Having those discussion splintered to specific runs that have the potential to become obsolete and hidden is not a good move.

Winter_Doggo,
Gelöscht
, und Imaproshaman gefällt das.
Thread: The Site
United StatesZenicReverie8 years ago

@HowDenKing That does sound like a dumb way to implement 2FA. The only one I've used is different, doesn't give an indication that the initial password is right or wrong. Thought they all worked similarly.

Imaproshaman gefällt das.
Thread: The Site
United StatesZenicReverie8 years ago

If it was offered here, I wouldn't use it. It's just another level of hassle to log in for me, so yes, it's valid that I say I see no benefit (for me <-- implied). I'm not a admin/mod, I'm not discounting the idea for the entire site, or at least for administrator accounts.

The worst someone could do with access to my account is flame the forums until the account is banned, delete all runs, and mess up game pages I'm modded to. Those should hopefully all be reversible by explaining the situation to a mod.

@HowDenKing It does more than prevent brute force attacks. It ensures that even if someone does have your password, they can't log in without also having your phone/device that's tied to the 2FA you set up. Lose your phone, you lose access.

Thread: Speedrunning
United StatesZenicReverie8 years ago

I've heard the best ending is bugged, and no one knows for sure how to unlock it, though there's plenty of speculation.

Thread: The Site
United StatesZenicReverie8 years ago

I don't see the benefit of this. Account information on here isn't that sensitive.

Thread: Talk
United StatesZenicReverie8 years ago

It's not about owning the console/game here. When emulators are banned it's due to one thing: differences between playing on hardware vs. emulator.

The cause can vary:

  • Inaccurate emulation (less lag, game runs faster, graphical glitches, etc.)
  • Control differences (e.g. DS stylus vs. PC mouse)
  • Reduced load times

When these differences exist It's up to the mods of each game to decide if it's worth it to track emulator runs as separate categories or ban them outright.

Quivico, MelonSlice, und blueYOSHI gefällt das.
United StatesZenicReverie8 years ago

What software are you using to record? I've never heard of a hardware limitation for video length.

Thread: Speedrunning
United StatesZenicReverie8 years ago

No, that's not a good idea. Pausing a game and timer to take a break might be nice, but you never know when the game is still doing things in the background (loading future content, calculating AI, continuing to roll the RNG or ticking down a timer). Interruptions are unfortunate, but a part of pulling off a speedrun is the ability to maintain focus from beginning to end of a game. That's what the time of a speedrun is capturing.

TikiLiger, Zonda1996 und 11 Andere gefällt das.
Thread: Talk
United StatesZenicReverie8 years ago

I really enjoy routing games, so once I've routed one I'll speedrun it to show off the route. I don't really dig deep for a WR, and will often move on after the first run with no major mistakes/deaths. The only time I'll try to compete with a time is when there's already an established run, and I notice an improvement to the route. There are just too many games out there to be stuck on one for too long.

Thread: Speedrunning
United StatesZenicReverie8 years ago

Isn't all 3D platforming bad?

Some older games that might fit what you're looking for: MDK (1 & 2) Soul Reaver (1 & 2) Alice (1 & 2)

TAG: The Power of Paint -- short indie first-person platforming Grapple -- kind of a platformer,more grapple game Refunct - I've heard good things about this game, but haven't tried it out yet

Cuttyflame gefällt das.
Thread: Speedrunning
United StatesZenicReverie8 years ago

Any game can have a speedrun. Sometimes it's just not that interesting because it's trivial to reproduce.

Thread: Great Greed
United StatesZenicReverie8 years ago

Oh, thought it was a serious run. I'm not really interested in it at the moment. Maybe one day.

Thread: Great Greed
United StatesZenicReverie8 years ago

Thought someone here might be interested in improving the current run. Here's my first time blind playthrough that took 9 hours 25 minutes. I'm not sure why there's so much time to save, I had some really bad parts, like the poison gas.

Thread: Speedrunning
United StatesZenicReverie8 years ago

^ on this site.

Make a video @Super_500, someone here still might find it interesting.

Thread: Speedrunning
United StatesZenicReverie8 years ago

@Timmiluvs

Gone Home was an example of a short speedrun of close times with an active community that counters your statement: "Short runs that are barely a couple minutes are rejected for a similar reason that they become uncompetitive fast since there isn’t much gameplay or routing involved in them. " The fact that it's two years old and still getting new records adds to my point.

Obscurity as a measure makes the assumption that a community won't ever come around due to the existence of the leader board. It's an assumption I wouldn't want to make.

I'm not arguing about the validity of VNs as speedruns. I'm arguing about your word choice. It's not about who can click fastest that makes a VN speedrun uninteresting, it's the lack of complexity (accuracy/timing) in clicking. A point and click adventure game is at least a step above VNs because there's a need to move the cursor to specific screen areas and possibly some routing decisions.

It's difficulty to find communities, or even know about their general existence without a central place to come together. SRC could be that central location; it's at least the closest thing today.

Also, I apologize for the slight on your ability. I was just returning the favor.

Alayan gefällt das.
Thread: Speedrunning
United StatesZenicReverie8 years ago

"I think you missed the entire point of everything I said so ¯_(ツ)_/¯" @Timmiluvs

I don't think I missed your other points. I agree with you on everything I didn't touch upon. I'm not sure why you decided to be so dismissive; is this not a forum to discuss ideas? I'll just assume you can't defend/expand on your opinions, or don't care to. If you don't care though, why are you here?

Thread: Speedrunning
United StatesZenicReverie8 years ago

Maybe it'd be less ambiguous if games currently on the site that wouldn't be accepted as new games were relegated to a different area, possibly frozen, or removed from the site. Part of the confusion for this game was that similar games of similar quality exist here. The existence of those leaderboards will perpetuate the issue. I'd start with those games that don't have any runs lingering now for years that would fail to meet the current quality standards.

@Timmiluvs: Every game boils down to who can do something the fastest. That's a poor argument. I think the actual argument against VNs is that there's no accuracy or timing necessary for the inputs. Obscurity is a bad argument against creating a leader board, and most games will start off with a single runner. The creation of a leader board could encourage people that don't want to mod a game to finally submit their times or start running in the first place. How short is too short? I think there's another poor measurement for acceptable speedrunning leader boards. As a modern game example, Gone Home's any% category's top 70 runs are under a minute.

ZenicReverie Informationen
Beigetreten
11 years ago
Online
9 days ago
Läufe
143
Gespielte Spiele
Shikinjou (GG)
Shikinjou (GG)
Letzter Durchlauf 8 years ago
100
Läufe
Kwirk
Kwirk
Letzter Durchlauf 7 years ago
30
Läufe
Hercules: The Legendary Journeys (N64)
Hercules: The Legendary Journeys (N64)
Letzter Durchlauf 15 years ago
2
Läufe
Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny
Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny
Letzter Durchlauf 9 years ago
1
Lauf
PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure
PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure
Letzter Durchlauf 13 years ago
1
Lauf
Daedalian Opus
Daedalian Opus
Letzter Durchlauf 7 years ago
1
Lauf
Godzilla (GB)
Godzilla (GB)
Letzter Durchlauf 7 years ago
1
Lauf
Archon: The Light and the Dark
Archon: The Light and the Dark
Letzter Durchlauf 15 years ago
1
Lauf
Beobachtete Spiele
Suits: A Business RPG
Suits: A Business RPG
Letzter Besuch 2 years ago
22
Besuche
Veil of Darkness
Veil of Darkness
Letzter Besuch 9 days ago
29
Besuche
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
Letzter Besuch 9 days ago
14
Besuche
Shadowgate 64
Shadowgate 64
Letzter Besuch 9 days ago
25
Besuche
Dragon Lore: The Legend Begins
Dragon Lore: The Legend Begins
Letzter Besuch 9 days ago
14
Besuche
Altered Space
Altered Space
Letzter Besuch 9 days ago
139
Besuche
Trampoline Terror!
Trampoline Terror!
Letzter Besuch 9 days ago
26
Besuche
Moderierte Spiele
Shikinjou (GG)
Shikinjou (GG)
Letzte Aktion 6 years ago
103
Aktionen
Archon: The Light and the Dark
Archon: The Light and the Dark
Letzte Aktion 5 years ago
10
Aktionen
Godzilla (GB)
Godzilla (GB)
Letzte Aktion 6 years ago
1
Aktion
Starflight (Genesis)
Starflight (Genesis)
Letzte Aktion 10 years ago
1
Aktion
Mysterium
Mysterium
Letzte Aktion 9 years ago
1
Aktion