Hey there. I agree that the current timing method isn't ideal for categories that rely on quitting to the main menu. We do our best to accommodate all players and keep things as fair as reasonably possible. That's one of the reasons we track the player's platform (though we haven't gone as far as creating separate subcategories) and disallow paid DLC gear in NG categories.
Banning the strategy is out of the question. It's one of the sources of time save in the category and is utilized by considerable number of runs already.
As for the timing method, we haven't received any previous requests to use IGT, and, truthfully, we haven't encountered a situation where load times have created a significant disadvantage.
Implementing LRT for this game would be quite challenging for a number of reasons, so the only other practical option would be for the moderation team to manually retime all existing and future runs. Given that this would be a substantial effort, I'd like to hear other runners and moderators' opinions on the matter before undertaking such a big effort.
As things currently stand, I'd rather continue with RTA timing until a situation that necessitates IGT transition comes up.
Can you send me your All Towers run? Also, Rift ILs would have been great if there was a way to access them on demand. There isn't much point in opening IL boards for levels that cannot be easily accessed.
Hey there, those are good category suggestions! I don't quite remember why we didn't go ahead with All Towers, I think it was the walking simulator aspect + the lengthy intro. But I don't really mind adding it if someone posts a run of the category first.
The same goes for All Events ILs, we can create boards if someone records runs performing All Events (including secret events) for a particular region. As this DLC doesn't provide a way to skip the lengthy intro, all IL categories would have to sit through the intro for each run attempt, which makes them less appealing than base game and baadlands.
I think, ideally, drive emulators should be treated the same as submissions using a full system emulator. At the very least, a new variable for the loader method would help differentiate between original hardware runs and partial emulation.
I haven't been able to find an RTA viable setup so far. It's definitely doable RTA, just takes a long time to push Mr. Bones far enough into the wall:
Note: It's also possible to do this at the start of the level, but the wall isn't high enough to trigger a wrong warp
This is probably known but you don't have to dismantle Mr. Bones for this wrong warp:
Here is an alternative setup where you can simply walk off the ledge (positioning is somewhat precise):
We single-handedly delayed a prospective Segasonic PC port by 30 years with this run...
Hey tokuchi, I agree that adding milliseconds might be worth looking into. As we already have a large number of runs, I would rather wait until we have a tie before going through the arduous process of re-timing every single run.
A new leaderboard has been created: https://www.speedrun.com/Ghost_Rider_GBA
Feel free to archive/remove the runs from this leaderboard at your convenience
Despite both PS2/PSP and GBA ports are called Ghost Rider, that's where their similarities end. As a result of that, the current leader boards have certain shortcomings from GBA standpoint:
- GBA Port is missing ILs (which would be further divided into Angel/Human and Demonic as level layouts differ)
- None of the category or game rules specify GBA timing or emulation restrictions
- NG+ in GBA is only really possible in Demonic Mode, which is unlocked after clearing the game in Angel/Human. These should be addressed in the category rules
I propose creating a new leaderboard for "Ghost Rider (GBA)" and migrating the existing submissions (including obsoleted ones) to the new leaderboard. I would be willing to handle all the tasks pertaining to the split and future moderation of the new leaderboard.
If the moderator is against a board split, at the very least, the rules should be updated to include GBA port of the game. Again, I would be happy to write up the GBA specific rules. This would still result in omission of ILs, but it would make the rules clear for future runners of the game.
Yep, fighting has a ton of optimization to it, I haven't bothered with it much myself. I have also noticed that some fight waves can be skipped, no idea how to perform that consistently though. I'd like to think I have figured out most of the optimal paths, and that's been the largest time save so far. And yeah, I certainly like shovelware games, I will DM you a few!
Your run was very helpful in learning this game and the reaper skip! Also I have discovered it's possible to skip a fight in both 2-3 (performed in this run) and 3-3. I have another run in the queue which performs all 4 tricks. Also agreed, this game is like watching paint dry, but it'd be cool to have more runners
Aaand we are back with the massive 1.1.2 update. Notable features:
- Even longer loading times
- Preset weapon loadouts when starting a new day
Starting Loadouts "2nd amendment supporter" and above enables cheats for some reason. This means we can use both the "speed up/down" keybinds and dev room buttons:
Similar to push-up, kicking animation can also be used for ejecting Dude out of surfaces:
It's possible to clip through certain objects by push-up ragdolling against the object and save/loading immediately. The timing can be trivialized by using the weapon wheel. This saves time in both prison and sewer errands:
Border Smuggler can technically be initiated at any point during gameplay, even if the slingshot object isn't loaded. For speedruns, the obvious use would be to skip the errand cutscene trigger on Tuesday. Tested on 1.0.7 only:
I have noticed that if a level was previously played with a character other than Sonic, the character will be selected by default the next time player enters the level. Is this fine for Any% or All Gold Medals categories?

Canada















