I don't think it is necessary to restrict runners to a specific emulator.
Doing so would further limit the ways people can participate in a game that already has a relatively small number of runners.
Restricting emulators could also potentially prevent the use of compatible systems such as POLYMEGA and Retro Freak. At a time when obtaining original hardware is becoming increasingly difficult, I don't think we need to make the barrier to entry any higher than necessary.
As for distinguishing between runs performed on original hardware and those performed on an emulator, SRC already provides a checkbox for "This run was performed on an emulator." when submitting a run, so I believe that should be sufficient.
If we add a rule regarding emulators, rather than specifying a particular emulator, I think it would be better to state that "features or behavior that deviate from the normal operation of the original hardware for the relevant platform are prohibited."
This would prohibit features that are not available on normal original hardware, such as Quick Load / Quick Save (QL/QS) and increasing the emulation speed. It would also give us a basis for rejecting runs performed on emulators that behave significantly differently from original hardware.
Regarding features such as the PS2's "Fast Disc Speed" option, if they cause the game to run differently or affect the timing compared with normal PS1 hardware, I think they could be prohibited under the same rule as well.
If a runner is unsure whether the emulator they plan to use is acceptable, I think we could recommend using DuckStation with reference to the resource page that KAMIGENO added: https://www.speedrun.com/ja-JP/the_tower_of_druaga/resources/b1vij
Please let me know if you have any concerns or suggestions regarding this approach. Otherwise, I'd like to proceed with this approach. Any issues that arise later can be addressed as needed on a case-by-case basis.
Regarding the concern about unfair emulator settings being used:
Honestly, I think it would be difficult to prevent this completely. Checking each emulator individually to make sure it is configured to behave correctly would require a considerable amount of effort, and there is also no way to verify that the settings someone reports are the same settings that were actually used when recording the video.
I don't think there is any problem with keeping the current approach.
- When using an emulator, check the option indicating that the run was performed on an emulator.
- Listing the emulator name is not required, but it is recommended because it makes the run information clearer.
- If anything suspicious is noticed in the video, request additional information such as emulator settings as necessary, and reject the run if it cannot be confirmed that the run complies with the rules.
Regarding “unofficial versions”:
If this refers to ROM hacks, unofficial ports, or similar versions, I do not currently plan to include them.
Regarding PS2, PS3, and Fast Disc Speed:
I replied about this separately in another thread, but to summarize, I think all of them should be allowed.
Also, regarding my original wording, “features or behavior that deviate from the normal operation of original hardware are prohibited,” I believe the intent is largely the same as “behaviors or features that deviate from the intended performance of official hardware are prohibited.”
However, I think it would be better to use wording that leaves less room for different interpretations, so I would like to propose revising it as follows:
Features or settings provided by the software running the game or by an emulator that assist with or alter game progression are prohibited. (Examples: Quick Save / Quick Load, save states, rewind, fast-forward, or increased game speed.)
Settings related to the performance or backward-compatibility behavior of official hardware are allowed. (Example: PS2 Fast Disc Speed.)
Checking each emulator individually to make sure it is configured to behave correctly would require a considerable amount of effort, and there is also no way to verify that the settings someone reports are the same settings that were actually used when recording the video.
DuckStation allows for this. (I wish more emulators would as well.) That said... it is not really an issue until someone decides to make it an issue. (Hopefully no one cheats!)
Regarding “unofficial versions”: If this refers to ROM hacks, unofficial ports, or similar versions, I do not currently plan to include them
I meant "unofficial versions" such as emulators. MAME (for Arcade) or DuckStation (for PS1) for example. "ROM hacks" should probably just have their own dedicated SRC page... while "unofficial ports" should probably also have their own SRC page---at best a category extension here. (But I doubt there is going to be an "unofficial port" that would even be worth doing that for.)
Features and settings provided by the software running the game or by an emulator that assist with or alter game progression are prohibited. (Examples: Quick Save / Quick Load, save states, rewind, fast-forward, or increased game speed.)
This wording---to me---makes it unclear if---for example---we are able to use 5 Gils instead of the default 3 (?) for PS1... which is why I think it is smart to focus on the intended performance of official hardware for the relevant category. (Though... that would also require additional stipulations for any possible future releases that include things like save states... but that is not really an issue, since you can just denote that those are disallowed in that category's rules.)
I’m not very familiar with emulator-specific features, so I can’t personally verify whether that is possible with DuckStation. In practice, what I can do as a moderator is review the submitted video and check whether there is anything obviously unusual about the game’s behavior.
If by “unofficial versions” you meant emulators such as MAME or DuckStation, then I understand what you meant. This does not really affect the rules I am currently planning.
I intend for the rule prohibiting assistive features such as increased game speed to be a general rule that applies to all categories. On the other hand, something like the “5 GILs” option in the PS1 version seems to be a game-specific setting. In-game settings would normally be handled by rules specific to each game, but I think they can be standardized in this case.
For example, the “5 GILs” setting does not exist in the PCE version. I also don’t think it exists in the GB version, although I can’t say that for certain without actually checking the game.
Since differences like these may only become clear by checking each version individually, I think they can be handled with a general rule stating that in-game settings must remain at their default values.
If there is ever a reason to make an exception, I think we should review it when such a request or run submission comes up.
I’m not very ... the game’s behavior.
DuckStation allows users to display a few of the settings they use. (You can see it on the lower left of my submission.)
Since differences like ... at their default values.
As a heads-up... that would invalidate the runs I submitted... due to having 5 Gils instead of whatever Namco Museum Vol. 3 defaults to. (I think they default to 3 Gils?)
Personally---and I am not saying this to keep my runs legal---I think "in-game settings must remain at their default values" kind of leads to a potentially weird and slippery slope... since arcade settings are based on dip switches that---IRL---the cabinet owner can switch to whatever for their place of business. (I believe if dipswitch 1 and 2 are on... you get 5 Gils... while if they are both off... you get only 3 Gils.) There would have to be an establishment of what settings are considered default across each category... which I do not think is too necessary to implement. (Plus it is more work on your end.) In addition... would things then need to be retroactively re-verified due to this...?
So... again... I feel like stating "behaviors and features that deviate from the intended performance of the official hardware for the relevant category are prohibited" is just a simple catch-all for all categories... and allows for possibly altered---but legal---gameplay settings. So---for example---playing the game at x1.5 speed would be deviating from the intended performance of every single platform... while letting people choose how many Gils they start with is not unintended, in my opinion.
Since the thread has become quite long, I would like to summarize the actions I plan to take here.
The main purpose of these changes is to formally document the way the rules have generally been handled up to this point.
These changes will apply to all categories, but I do not expect them to have much impact on runs that have already been approved.
Even if something in an already approved run raises a concern under the new wording, I would generally prefer to leave the run as it is unless the impact on the time is significant.
Rules to be added as general rules
- Even if something falls within the wording of the rules, if an unforeseen case is found to have a significant impact on the time, I will review it at that time and handle it individually if necessary.
- Using in-game or external settings, or emulator features/settings, to unfairly reduce the time compared with normal gameplay is prohibited.
- Examples that fall under this rule:
- Quick Save / Quick Load
- Save states
- Increasing game speed
- Rewind
- Other abuse of emulator settings
- Examples that do not fall under this rule:
- Changing the number of lives through in-game options
- This is considered acceptable because it functions more as an accessibility/assistance measure than as a way to reduce the time.
- Changes to graphics, volume, or other settings that do not provide a time advantage
- Changing the number of lives through in-game options
- Examples that fall under this rule:
Rules to be added specifically for Any% (PS1)
- Playing on official hardware other than the PS1, such as the PS2 or PS3, is also allowed.
- Features provided by official hardware are currently considered acceptable to use.
- Example: PS2 Fast Disc Speed
The following will not be added to the rules and will continue to be handled as they are now:
- I do not plan to prohibit any specific emulator.
- If you use an emulator, please check the "Emulator" option when submitting the run.
- If possible, it would be helpful if you could mention which emulator you used in the notes or in the comments on the submitted video.
- If I notice something concerning while reviewing a submission, I may ask for additional information about the emulator or its settings.
Trying to anticipate and define every possible minor exception in advance would make the rules unnecessarily complicated, so for now I have limited the changes to general rules.
If an unforeseen case or an example that is difficult to judge actually comes up, then, as stated in the general rules, I would like to review it at that time and handle it individually if necessary.
The rules and category information have been partially updated.
The main changes are as follows:
-
- Added information regarding emulators and various settings
- [Updated the Remarks section for the













