Even if it did not, the "core" of the game is different so there's no reason the memory corruption would work.
It's not a matter of setup or values (although one of your shells was off anyway), it just doesn't work on AS.
Producks and/or Tompa would be able to give more details or at least respond more accurately but basically BizHawk (and VC) handle memory corruption differently from NES, which means that some wrong warp setups would be possible on them while being impossible on NES. Other than memory corruption they're perfectly fine (or even better than some NES emus i guess although it's kinda irrelevant for RTA to use fceux or bizhawk if it's not any%) so it's not a problem for other categories.
Yep thanks, when a time is 3:11.xx we just put 3:11, even if it's 3:11.99 (although as i said i'll edit so decimals can be put for that category). As long as the timer is perfectly accurate obviously but it seems you timed it afterwards and not by hand during the run, so I assume you started and stopped it on the correct frame.
Hi Fernando,
So regarding your run: please remember to always write the emu (& version) in the description when submitting. Your previous run was on fceux so I'm assuming it still is, but please confirm that point.
Also your timer seems to be a later addition done with Vegas, and you get a 3:11 final time on it assuming it's accurate. If it is, why did you submit 3:12? I edited your time into 3:11 for now because we don't round up the times, we just take the whole second (and for short runs at the top we should add decimals in the future in fact, particularly for any%).
So yeah, if you can confirm the emu & the time it would be great! Thanks
-
I don't know, I think I remember hearing 16 a while ago but this might be completely wrong. Don't try to react on the fly because some patterns are impossible to differentiate until it's too late. You really need to know in advance what you're dealing with.
-
When you run against the border and go for the diagonal slightly in anticipation, with the momentum it'll work as soon as possible (down or up can be pressed in advance when entering a pipe). Diagonal inputs work to enter pipes so it's really free.
-
OK I've actually wondered myself if the 8 frames value is accurate because it feels like more. It's a value I asked for a long time ago and I haven't felt the need to check myself since because I have the patterns down consistently anyway (at least in hundo). All in all the important thing to know is that the window is big enough to reach something consistently. But you are right that depending where you land in the frame window, it can be tricky. I didn't want to fill your head with too many informations at once in my previous reply but there's some rare situations where I'm sometimes too "early" if my inputs were too good so to speak. The typical example is when I kill the HB above 1-6 (warpless or hundo makes no diff in this case), if my inputs are too fast I reach a pattern where he starts the fight with a jump. So I always slightly delay my pipe entering (but sometimes I can enter as soon as possible and get the good pattern, so we're close to the frontier in that case). Delaying can also be useful to force an easier/faster to kill pattern in some cases (I do it in world 2 in 100% notably).
About the 8 frames being accurate or not, there's a few possibilities. To begin with, a pattern being different doesn't mean that the same kill method won't work (as I told you in world 1, there's a single method for all the situations as long as he doesn't open with a jump). Also a koopakid doesn't have that many options so he might begin consecutive patterns the same way and then would look the same because of it. All in all, even if it would be nice to double check the value, the important thing to know is that we manage to consistently get the patterns we want with a bit of practice. Note that the frame consistency is helped by the buffered inputs we discussed in another thread for the overworld movements.
- Yeah that can be tricky because there's not really good resources for that, and there's actually very few runners who know what they are doing for every world. I'll try to give you a quick rundown of where to look.
_ World 1: use any good run as a reference for the method, whether it's in warpless or hundo. Just know that from certain map positions, he'll shoot earlier during the fight at the start and it makes the kill tighter. But the kill method remains the same.
_ World 2: this one is a mess (both in warpless and hundo). And firekills for some patterns won't work at all on other patterns so it's important to know in advance what you'll get. I haven't gone back to warpless seriously yet (I will soonish) and reworking on the firekills was one of my priorities, so I can't help you a lot for that one (same for w4). You can experiment yourself a bit with various situations and try to see what other top runners are doing on various patterns. The thing is that in world 2 we sort of all do different things I've noticed because it often comes down to what we're comfortable with and what risks we're willing to take.
_ World 3: Wendy can have slightly different behaviours (like walking instantly or not) but it doesn't make much difference as long as you have a good grasp of the distance to her. Any method you learn will be fine if you can slightly adjust your positioning when needed.
_ World 4: Last time I did some warpless grinding, nobody was doing a firekill on that one in warpless. I know that i've seen iluvmario and cujo going for some stuff in attempts since but I haven't worked on anything myself yet. Again, having HBs on the map or not will influence so keep that in mind. Contact the runners I mentioned if needed.
_ World 5: this one is a mess because you have to use a cloud and it becomes super hard to predict because of it. This is the one case where if you really want to firekill, you would have to be able to adapt on the fly to what he does.
_ World 6 has no firekill in warpless.
_ World 7: I don't know what's possible for warpless, I know the natural patterns you get while going to the airships are not compatible with firekills but there's prolly some possibilities, haven't investigated myself yet.
All in all, going for firekills in warpless is often pretty advanced stuff that requires a lot of knowledge (100% is easier in that regard except for world 2). I would recommend learning world 1 and 3 for sure if you haven't learned them yet. You can also try to learn some stuff for 2 and maybe 5 if you want. You should probably forget about 4 and 7 for now.
_ The HB RNG to learn is quite minimal, it basically comes down to knowing how to do high/low pattern for twin HBs. You can do a savestate in the overworld before moving towards the HB. The RNG changes every frame so you'll naturally get different scenarios.
_ For Koopakids the situation is way more complex. To begin with it's important to understand how the RNG works for them. The patterns of the koopakids change every 8 frames. And the internal timer that decides on the pattern starts at the end of the last stage (or HB fight) in a world and ends when entering the pipe leading to the boss. What it means is that if you want to learn firekills, you're gonna have to learn a firekill method for each possible scenario depending on the duration leading to the boss.
I'll give you some concrete examples. If you finish World 1 with 1-6 (meaning you fought the HB before 1-6), the timer will start at the end of 1-6 and finish on entering the pipe at the end of the airship. Because it's an autoscroller, there's very little variation to the duration. The small frame fluctuations will be linked to three things: your overworld movement between 1-6 and the castle, the number of frames "lost" (potentially) when pressing A after the Toad text box, and the potential number of frames lost to enter the pipe (but you shouldn't lose frames there because it's easy to enter the pipe as soon as possible). Basically, if your overworld movement is somewhat consistent, you'll almost always get the same pattern thanks to the 8 frames window because the three factors I mentioned should have little variation if you're used to them.
If you end World 1 by fighting the HB above 1-6, you suddenly have 2 overworld movements to the castle instead of 3 and the pattern will be different (because the timer will start at the end of the HB fight and will stop at the pipe still). Additionally in that case, you could skip the flower in the airship (which freezes the autoscroller) and it also affects the duration.
So what can you do? Well if you're willing to learn the firekills (and it's a mess in some worlds for warpless, it's actually easier to practice for 100% in that regard), you have to prepare a savestate for each scenario. So you kill the HB before 1-6, do 1-6, make sure your overworld movement to the castle is clean, play the autoscroller and savestate while entering the pipe. If you did it correctly, you'll be able to practice the pattern you'll get in that same situation during runs. An important note is that luckily, the patterns for world 1 in normal situations pretty much always allow you to do the exact same firekill. So if you practice on one pattern, you should be ready for all the world 1 situations (there's actually a small annoying detail with one situation but don't worry about it for now).
Now where it gets tricky with warpless is that there is another factor affecting the duration between last stage & castle in some worlds: if there are HBs on the map still (like in world 2), depending on if they give you a movement of 1 or 2, the pattern will also be affected by that. Lots and lots of scenarios to know.
If my explanation isn't very clear, don't hesitate to ask questions, I'll try to explain better.
_ Using a savestate to reset an emu isn't really a problem as far as RTA goes because it's virtually the same as resetting a console as we can't expect or manipulate the values. It goes without saying but the savestate should be before you press start on the title screen and totally independent from the start input (although even if the state & start were bound together, you'd only maybe manage to keep the RNG somewhat consistent for a stage or two at best). The RNG changes every frame so it's virtually impossible to control/keep track of due to all the obvious gameplay variations.
As far as capture cards go I recommend not to buy a Dazzle but to get a gv-usb2 instead.
About emulators, Nestopia or fceux are fine. Bizhawk is good but I recommend not using that one because it's banned for any% (accepted for the other categories though) because it handles memory corruption differently.
Yeah I kept messing up at first but when you get used to it it's definitely a good thing to do. So might as well go for it from the start.
Ace explained it very well.
So basically we buffer one movement after each stage or HB fight (and as soon as the movement is done we manually do the next movements to not wait for the pause) and we buffer an entire chain of movements when there is a screen scroll (like at the end of world 6, between 6-f3 and the castle).
Additionally, you can buffer opening a menu in some circumstances (like at the end of a stage), which is particularly important in short categories as every frame counts (when you want to use the first whistle). You can also buffer the first movements in world 9 (the warp zone).
As an attendee/runner, I had a lot of fun overall and I'm glad to have attended the event. I do think a few things are questionable, I'll stick to the main positive/negative things:
- great atmosphere
- room upstairs w/ jumbo controllers, very good place to relax & hang out
- a lot of space, i liked the arena setting, reminded me of LANs i used to attend as a teen
- good communication at the event as far as i'm concerned, someone came to me a solid half hour before the run to warn me and set me up
- hotel (Scandic) was good
- met a lot of nice people (although that's sort of irrelevant to a feedback thread)
+/- Lack of stock of consoles you can lend to runners so they can practice. You did tell us in advance we would need to bring consoles or find someone to lend us one so it was obviously not a big issue, but it was still not very easy to practice before the run for me & other players. +/- headphones were meh
- Location. The arena itself was great as far as i'm concerned, and I have nothing against Växjö, but the lack of "real" international airport is a big problem imo. I wasn't coming from too far away so taking a 2h30 train after the plane wasn't a huge issue, but considering some players come from far away, a direct airport is a must-have for an event like that imo.
- Food at night: the only option for hot food at night was some horrendous hot-dogs in the lobby. It's particularly annoying for the runners who actually have a run during the night and can't get anything before or after their run.
Hopefully, because I'm in the same situation as I had a problem when trying to buy it online. There was quite a few trains though so I doubt all of them will be full.
What he said, vanilla 1.32c and you're ready to go.
Dunno if any restreamer will read it but here you go, general notes about Super Mario Bros. 3 100%.
Don't hesitate to contact me (or other people in the community) if you have questions.
So for my SMB3 run, I have no way to bring my NES (obviously i'll bring game & controller). Will it be ok? What about the practice room, will I have access to a NES or will I have to borrow one from someone? Oh and do I really have to bring the cables for a NES? I assume there'll be plenty of runs on that console.
elipsis the point is that with some alternative wrong warps done in 7-1 you can do stuff like skipping the first autoscroller of w8
and yes lightofeon, but that wasn't what was discussed in the thread.
If it's not in his highlights on his twitch channel, then you should try to contact him directly, as I'm sure he'd be happy to give you more informations. He's probably the person who knows the most about the various possibilities at this point.
Most of the wrong warps possibilities are already known (among other people, producks did a lot of investigating related to reaching the end of various worlds, duplicating items and stuff like that).
It won't change any category for obvious reasons ("any% no wrong warp" and "any% warpless" have the restriction in their name for a reason I mean, and hundo is about beating everything anyway). About something like any% no WW, the point of the category is to be the "traditional" way of beating the game before wrong warps. If you start adding a wrong warp to it, but less useful than the one used in any%, then it loses its purpose entirely.
About creating a new category, my personal feeling about it (and I know it's shared by most other players after discussions we had a few weeks ago related to another glitch) is that the 4 current categories have a perfect balance regarding what's possible with the game. Creating a new category based on inferior wrong warps (compared to the any% one) seems really useless at this point.
After registering, I received a mail related to the ticket telling me to upload my "avatar". Is that related to the lanyards or?


France






