Is 720p the minimum required quality for a speedrun submission?
4 years ago
South Africa

I've read the following on the Moderation Rules:

Run Requirements:

"It is reasonable to expect that the video must be of a reasonable enough viewing quality and stable framerate to clearly see everything going on in the game. It is not recommended to set a strict threshold such as 720p."

I wanted to request a new game and submit a speedrun of said game (Boet Fighter). However, I live in a country with shite internet and upload speeds and thought before reading this that I could possibly reduce the resolution to decrease the size and therefore upload time.

So tldr; is 720p min or above a hard requirement for speedrun submissions? I can record in 1080p but uploading 30gb would take 3 days. So I kinda want to know if there are workarounds/alternatives?

Zanum tycker om detta
Israel

Hmm, I'm not sure about the exact meaning of "720p threshold" phrase in that rule.

There is no hard requirement for resolutions. Some games specifically require a good quality so the viewer can see certain aspects of the video clearly, like an ingame timer. In any case, low quality video might get your run rejected.

Generally, you run should be with a good enough video quality so the viewer can see clearly what is going on. This can happen with resolution of 360p or more (although 480p is better). Lower than that (240/120) is bad quality and makes the video look really bad, don't do that please.

Some games also require a specific video framerate (30fps or 60fps), but it isn't common and you shouldn't worry about it.

Also, I always record in 1080p/60fps, and never got file size more than 1-2 GB on a 30 minute video. So, I guess this is a longer game? if you record in OBS, you can adjust the file size in the settings, as well as tinker with the resolution.

EDIT: I just realized that the rules you read (Moderation rules) are not meant for a game request to the site (which is done by the site staff). Those are general guidelines and rules for the game moderators themselves, as to how they should set and handle their games.

Redigerad av författaren 4 years ago
Zanum, Gaming_64 och 8 andra gillar detta