zawj39's 2015 speedruns and documentation thread
2 years ago

Adding his 2015 documentation and YT links for easy reference from this site.

Date: 2015-08-07 Official Time: 57:40 Youtube Link:

PC version 1.00 (Steam). Timing starts at choosing difficulty in main menu and ends at the "You did it!" message in the final mission.

I couldn't find any recorded speedrun of this game, time to change it.

Not using a save file is faster, I'm aware of that. Saves are forced on every mission start and leaving the pub, taking a few seconds each. Starting without a save file disables that as well as quick saves (restarting mission still works normally).

The black borders aren't there because I screwed up the recording, it's how the game was made

• 4:3 aspect ratio is the only proper one, using a widescreen resolution only stretches the picture and makes it ugly. Shame, since it's supposed to be using a modified Giants: Citizen Kabuto engine, which supported 1080p natively.

Movement in this game is quite limited - rather slow speed and short jumps. It's possible to gain some extra speed with bunny hopping though, the trick is used very often in the run. It's very easy when going down the slope and very precise (and often unreliable) when going up.

In some missions we're given a jetpack (it acts more like a jump booster and a parachute though). Falling faster on purpose also gives a massive speed boosts. Slow falling, on the contrary, resets speed to a fixed value.My own weapons can't be used for speed boosts, however, enemy shots work pretty good for that.

Yes, I'm aware of the corner climbing glitch. No, I haven't found it useful at all. There's a single place in Reach the Wildwood Abbey where it can be used, but it's faster and easier to just walk up a tree nearby. I bet it's useless in almost any other place since some of the safe looking falls are insta-kills, not to mention something at least 15 times higher.

All of defend the base type missions are NOT timer based - the faster you kill enemies, the sooner it will end. Also, the lame looking troop placeholders are actual spawners - be sure to finish these off when there's nothing more to shoot.

None of the weapons are carried over between missions, it's set in each of them.

Some mission specific comments:

Rescue Rexus - sticky bombs can be used to damage the gate at the end. It's best to use 5 of these and stand close, so the grunt nearby will finish the job with a single cannon shot.

Steal the Book of Rule - the worst mission of them all. It wouldn't be so bad if your teammates weren't so stupid and constantly staying behind, and it's the only mission where Jonesy can't die. Oh, and sometimes he can get stuck, and the only way to get him unstuck is to reload the last save.

Defend Lily's House - this one lasts exactly 6 minutes. It's best to get the Vindaloo upgrade from behind the pub, use it on the two first airships, and later use either that or one of the two stationary guns (at the pub, and the one behind a bridge opposite to the pub).

Escape from Forge - the second pub has NO AMMO. Not a problem on easy, but keep that in mind on harder difficulties.

Date: 2015-08-23 Official Time: 56:20 Youtube Link:

That would've been sub 54 if that moron Jonesy didn't decide to get stuck and die...

Anyways, enough slacking off and doing offline runs, see you guys on stream next week.

Differences from the previous one:

• slightly different route in late Save the Villagers. Still used safe strats, as most of falls there are fatal - jumping in a right place is not always possible;

• more rockets shot at the placeholder looking troops in town defence missions

PC version 1.00 (Steam). Timing starts at choosing difficulty in main menu and ends at the "You did it!" message in the final mission.

Date: 2015-09-07 Official Time: 55:02 Youtube Link:

One death at The Road to Zitwalla, the optimal run should be around 52 minutes at this point.

Date: 2015-09-13 Official Time: 51:47 Youtube Link:

Certainly did not expect to get under 52 minutes so soon.

No deaths this time, but I still hate this damned "Retirement Community" mission and the stickies.

Rocket boosting was used for the first time - while exploding rockets have no effect, firing the missile launcher (or mortar) does give a small speed boost in the opposite direction. Gotta do some more routing - getting under 50 missions sounds too good to be real at the moment, but who knows?

Date: 2015-09-26 (Posted on YT) Official Time: 51:22 Youtube Link:

No embarrassing mistakes in Retirement Community (finally!), but first five levels and a few of the last ones still could've been better.

I'm still not done with this game, by the way; want to at least get under 51 minutes before focusing on a different game.

Editado por el autor 2 years ago
Estadísticas del juego
Seguidores
Partidas
Jugadores
Corridas recientes
Últimos hilos
Publicado 2 years ago
0 respuestas
Moderadores