Grimace shake cutscene skip
11 months ago
United States

In the beginning of the game, if you have reset the game multiple times through the quit function (not an emulator reset or anything), you will be able to skip the cutscene that says "And be sure to collect enough of his special birthday shakes for all the party guests!" This is seen in any speedrun where the next scene in some way mutilates the name Grimace. I discovered this while playing through the game and Nokonoko64 makes use of this in their 4m33s run. I think it's important to decide whether this skip is allowed, since it can shave off a significant amount of time.

potsy و Damos تُحب هذا
United States

I noticed this as well. Anecdotally off a power cycle you can't skip it, but it seems like you can speed through the following text with the girl and Grimace where you can't on subsequent runs. It's a bit strange.

تم التحرير بواسطة الكاتب 11 months ago
Berlin, Germany

Oh that's the reason! I didn't realize :D I think it does still save time, even though you cannot speed up the text on the next two screens.

At least on Game Boy it's enough to quit once

Ohio, USA

Got some experience with this. On my end with MGBA (GBC Emulation), it's just spamming and it randomly decides which textbox to skip? Kind of RNG but I'd need to do more research. For now, I say it's allowed but I'd love to hear more feedback on this. Whatever would make the game easier to run, the better.

happy_srl المعجبون بهذا
Berlin, Germany

I did use it in my 4:29 run I just submitted, so I'm in favor of allowing it 🙈

United States

I'm in favor of whatever's the least tedious for starting new runs. In this case I guess that would mean allowing it.

Ohio, USA
potsy
She/Her, They/Them
11 months ago

I think it would be more competitively viable to necessitate that all runs are on the first boot of the game, I personally save state after the intro credits so I don't have to sit through it every time. NOT BIASED

Ohio, USA
potsy
She/Her, They/Them
11 months ago

also does anyone know if this changes in 1.2 or 1.3?

Baden-Württemberg, Germany

Maybe ive understood some things wrong but on web you just have to spam it. Dont think its some rng since I can get it mostly everytime. The first text from the girl can still be skipped if you skipped the shake but the second one can not. Same the other way around. If you do not skip the shake you can skip both the girl texts. Skipping the shake is faster after what ive felt

United States

I don't think save states should be used at any point during an official speedrun. The only way to actually police that would be including the hard reset in every submitted video, I guess. Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu for NES has a similar situation where you can skip the intro off a soft reset, but the folks over there decided skipping it isn't allowed for whatever reason.

I'm alright with allowing or not allowing the skip, but I think a decision should be made so people aren't wasting their time on invalid runs or runs that are slower than they could be.

You can check out the rules for Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu for reference: https://www.speedrun.com/jackie_chans_action_kung_fu?h=Any&x=9kv33j2g

Their additional, general rules doc (grain of salt: I don't know where this came from or who wrote it): https://goo.gl/pYN6AR

happy_srl المعجبون بهذا
Berlin, Germany

I cannot confirm that it works on web without soft reset. I tried a couple of times and was not able to get it.

Onscheli المعجبون بهذا
Baden-Württemberg, Germany

Ah I think i know now. You have to quit a level for it to work consistantly... I think.

United Kingdom

How do you do cutscene skip on the web version?

إحصائيات اللعبة
متابعون
جولات سريعة
اللاعبون
آخر الأخبار
200$ Competition! - By Adamj

The competition is now ongoing until the end of the month!

Watch his video for further informations!

7 hours ago
الجولات الأخيرة
آخر المواضيع
نُشرت 9 months ago
games:thread_reply_count
نُشرت 10 months ago
نُشرت 10 months ago
نُشرت 11 months ago
نُشرت 11 months ago