Yoshi Challenge speedrun rules
1 year ago
New Jersey, USA

Hello,

I'm working on a run of this game that completes the Yoshi Challenge. However, the rule set doesn't specify if you have to start from a file that hasn't collected any eggs yet or if you can use a file that already has completed the game 100%. The difference obviously being that in the former there are cutscenes of the Yoshi eggs falling and hatching which will add a significant amount of time to the run.

Netherlands

Hey, always good to see interest in the game! jw and I talked about it and we believe that allowing the usage of a 100% save file for the category would be best for it. So the rules will be changed to allow for that.

North Yorkshire, England

Thank you! I did a run last year for the Yoshi category collecting the eggs for the first time each and had all the cutscenes. So that leads to another question - is it now acceptable to collect the two eggs in 1-3, 3-1, 4-2, and 5-3 and then warp? Or, are you suggesting we can collect both eggs for each level and then save quit, do this for all levels then complete 7-2 (so Wart is the only boss we beat, and no Birdos beaten)?

Netherlands

I checked out part of your run not too long ago to get a better idea of the category and your commentary was quite insightful to me. Cool to see you're still around!

My assumption would be that it makes the most sense to complete each level normally since that's usually required too. The use of a 100% save file is mainly to make it more friendly to run without having to set up a save file for each attempt that has the game completed but no yoshi eggs collected.

That would be my stance right now but I'm curious about what you guys think. I don't have much experience with this run in particular so if you guys have any ideas or opinions they would be very valuable. I think it'd be nice to add more clarity to the ruleset for the category.

Tarafından düzenlendi yazar 1 year ago
North Yorkshire, England

Either way is fine with me. Thank you for checking out my run last year! I might have another attempt at it soon. I could be wrong, but for the All Ace Coins category, I thought you could just grab the 5 coins per level, then save and quit before going to another. Is that true? If so, then it would not be unprecedented to allow something similar for Yoshi Eggs. Another option if you like is to make categories All Eggs and All Eggs No Save and Quit, and similarly for All Ace Coins. What do you think?

Netherlands

The difference is that Ace Coins save the moment you grab them and it's done from a fresh save file. Nothing suggests that's unintended. The Yoshi eggs don't look like they function like that so I'd be hesitant on allowing that.

When it comes to adding different categories that may "not be suggested by the game" I would be hesitant on adding them until there's a good amount of people interested and invested in such categories. I'd love to add All Ace Coins warpless, mario only, luigi only, peach only, toad only etc. (True 100% for sure!) But that would result in a very empty and messy leaderboard. That being said, I would still encourage running those categories even if there wouldn't be any leaderboards for them. With enough interest and recorded runs, that can change.

New Jersey, USA

Hey thanks for the information! I now have a file ready to run on.

New Jersey, USA

Hey guys,

I just submitted my first Yoshi Eggs run of Super Mario Advance, and I feel the rules should be as follows: *Collect all 40 Yoshi Eggs *You must trigger "Course Clear!" in each level with all collected eggs in your inventory, as dying or warping before finishing the level will cause that level's collected egg(s) to be lost. If this occurs, you must re-collect whatever eggs were lost. (Only because this is the case in the first playthrough and it's only fair) *You can start from a 100% complete file in order to skip the Yoshi cutscenes

In my video I also collect all the Ace Coins, but this shouldn't be mandatory unless a category like "100% completion" is created. Let me know your thoughts!

North Yorkshire, England

Congrats for doing that!! Those rules sound great to me. I’m before long going to have a shot at the Yoshi egg challenge as well, but I won’t be going for all the Ace coins like you did. I’m going to first make my 40 egg file off camera so I can skip the cutscenes. Thank you!

North Yorkshire, England

One more thing to clarify - is everyone okay with completing the levels in any order? We can still require 7-2 to be the last one, but otherwise order does not matter. I personally like to do the harder levels like 5-3 and 6-3 first to get them out of the way, so later in the run when I get tired I can do the easier levels.

New Jersey, USA

Doing the levels in chronological order keeps you from having to select them individually (as my video demonstrates) so would be fastest timewise, but I don't see a reason to restrict which levels are completed when. Even from a fresh file any level is selectable from the start regardless of whether or not all 20 levels were played through before defeating Wart. I also agree that 7-2 should still be last as it's the final level and that's where timing ends in most categories of this game, best to keep rules consistent in my opinion.

Oyun istatistikleri
Takipçiler
Oyunlar
Oyuncular
En Son Konular
Yayınlanma tarihi 2 years ago
0 yanıt
Yayınlanma tarihi 1 year ago
0 yanıt
6 yanıt