Happy new year! As we move into 2021, we've got a lot of things in the pipeline for Speedrun.com, as well as a good amount of ground we've already covered.
What's Happened So Far?
New Logo & Color Update
As you've probably noticed, we've had a bit of a refresh on our logo and color scheme. We tried to stay as true to the original design as possible while still vectorizing the logo, and we hope you'll grow to love the adjustment as much as we have.
Front Page Request Form
We heard a lot of feedback asking us to diversify the content on the front page, and we're thrilled to announce the Front Page Request Form (Beta Program). If you've got a marathon, a speedrun show, a TAS premiere, etc, we want to hear about it. As it's a beta program, we are still working out the policies on the type of content we'll accept, as well as the length of each reservation, but we're super excited to be able to leverage the front page as a place to promote cool community content.
Community Feature Program
We're also looking to start doing some written features on communities, runners, and other cool aspects of speedrunning. If you have a community/runner/topic you'd like to nominate, feel free to fill out our form here! Have a question? Feel free to reach out to our content expert at email@example.com.
Minor Externally Facing Updates
- Donation perks have been turned on for everyone (except the Coin Badge)
- The bug has been fixed barring users with unique characters from editing their profiles
- A page will no longer 404 if a game moderator cancels rejecting a run
- The rejection window is now larger so game moderators can add more detail
- Users can list their pronouns on their profiles
- Author names are no longer listed twice for guides
- The ZeldaSpeedRuns social badge now links to the correct site
- Mixer has been removed from social profiles
- The Mississippi flag has been updated
- The search bug causing incorrect search results has been fixed
- Forum posts that have been edited will be marked as 'edited' with the date
- Direct messages are capped at 10,000 characters
- Image uploads are capped at 2.5 MB to speed up load time for pages
- Users can no longer send stacking messages to themselves
Full And Content Moderator Applications Are Open
These are always open as we're looking to grow our volunteer base, but we wanted to shout it out in case anyone was interested in joining in the new year. The application can be found here.
We've got a few things planned for the next year, and we wanted to give you a look at some of the user-facing items next up on our current road map. Our main priority is continuing to optimize the site to handle traffic as it increases, but we also have some features planned in the coming months.
- Updated News Page with better archiving
- Knowledge Base for helping new runners and moderators get started
- Announcements functionality on each game page for game moderators to use
- Optional featured YouTube videos on the game pages
- Updated Moderator Tools
As always, if you have any feedback feel free to drop it in the Speedrun.com Feedback Form, and I look forward to hearing from you!
Alicen "LewisAndSpark" Lewis