Added General Rule:
• Runs must not intend to be as slow as possible. There must at minimum be an attempt made to finish the run quickly.
Removed Category Extension:
• Filtered Seed Glitchless — 11/11/2022
FSG is now its own board, separate to the Category Extensions board. If you want to view the leaderboard or submit a run, visit the FSG Leaderboard.
Clarified Multi-instancing Rules: All instances must have the percentage of the chunkmap legible, i.e. able to be read, as a rule of thumb for the minimum resolution/bitrate required. Should you choose to have a zoomed in capture of the loading square (alongside the full instance capture), both the center of the screen and the position the loading square jumps to during the WorldPreview mod must be zoomed in and recorded to capture the full loading screen. — 21/01/2023
Added new version split to Any% Glitchless: • Split Pre 1.9 into Pre 1.8 and 1.8. (Submission and timing rules will remain the same in both categories) — 05/03/2023
Resource Packs: You are allowed to use the built-in Vanilla resource pack as well as the built-in Programmer Art resource pack in versions that have it built into the game.
In addition, you are allowed to use resource packs for accessibility reasons - colourblindness, sensory issues, etc. Here is a link to all current allowed accessibility resource packs. If you need a resource pack for accessibility that is not whitelisted in the link above, please open a ticket with us.
We have allowed a select few resources to be changed from the default resource packs. Here is a list of resources that you are allowed to modify:
- Using the 1.14+ netherrack texture on older versions / in Programmer Art
- Contents of the End Poem
- Contents of the Title Screen (Background Image + Splash Text)
- Ender Dragon death sound and / or sound volume
- Renaming the Wither or Ender Dragon (for the bossbar)
- Changing the colour scheme of the GUI background (e.g. dark GUI)
- Specifically, the GUI must be non transparent. The colour scheme must be changed only to another solid colour or a colour gradient.
- You are NOT allowed to modify the textures of the health bar, hunger bar, or XP bar in any way.
- Changing the chest and trapped chest textures to their Christmas variants
- Changing the default Steve/Alex texture
If any of the above textures are modified intentionally to provide a competitive advantage, your run may be rejected. If you believe that a texture you would like to modify may cause concern, please open a ticket with us.
You are not allowed to change your system time to intentionally use time sensitive features (specifically Halloween and Christmas game modifications).
- As stated above, you ARE allowed to change the chest textures to their Christmas variants at any time. Since the Halloween game changes are a bit more complex than simply texture changes, you are only allowed to use the Halloween features when they occur naturally.
All runners will have a 30 day grace period to modify their resource packs if necessary - starting May 1st, these changes will take full effect. — 02/04/2023
Updated Rules: • Super Secret Settings is not allowed. • Debug Profiler must be off (OptiFine only). — 09/04/2023
Updated Mod Rules:
• set-spawn 1.9-1.12.2 is allowed (SET SEED ONLY). — 06/04/2023
• antiresourcereload is allowed. — 03/02/2023
• ChunkCacher 1.14-1.15.2 is allowed (SET SEED ONLY). — 14/12/2022 • antiresourcereload 1.14.4 is allowed. — 03/02/2023 • antiresourcereload 1.15.2 is allowed. — 03/02/2023 • WorldPreview 1.15.2 3.0.0 is allowed. — 11/04/2023 • ChunkCacher 1.16-1.17.1 is allowed (SET SEED ONLY). — 14/12/2022 • ServerSideRNG build 9 1.16.1 9.0.0 is allowed. — 24/03/2023 • WorldPreview 1.16.1 3.0.0 is allowed. — 11/04/2023 • Sodium-Mac 1.16.1 is allowed. — 11/04/2023 • ChunkCacher 1.18-1.18.2 is allowed (SET SEED ONLY). — 14/12/2022 • antiresourcereload 1.17.1-1.18.1 is allowed. — 03/02/2023
Important Mod Notes:
• ChunkCacher is NOT compatible with World Preview. • ChunkCacher is NOT compatible with LazyStronghold in versions 1.16+. (This mod should greatly help with world loads for Set Seed categories by caching the chunk information for the seed)
• ServerSideRNG serves as a helpful anti-cheat measure by generating important random values during the run on an external server. Usage of the mod requires an internet connection while speedrunning. Installation and usage of this mod is highly recommended for both ease of verification and its anti-cheat measures; but as always, you are not required to use any mods for your speedrun to be verifiable. (This mod also requires submission of a verification ZIP file. If your run is sub-17 and uses the ServerSideRNG mod, you will be required to submit the verification ZIP file for your run in the speedrun.com run description or through the file submission Google form. However, we also highly recommend sending the zip file even if your run is not sub-17 as it really helps with verifying the run. More info about this procedure can be found in the GitHub readme page)
• Versions of ServerSideRNG prior to ServerSideRNG build 9 9.0.0 are now ILLEGAL.
• Old versions of WorldPreview will be illegal on 11/05/2023 00:00 UTC. (The new version brings various performance improvements for faster resetting)
• Legalised new Sodium build for Mac, which has the same features as the 1.16.1 Sodium (mainly the Vanilla menu in-game) which used to not work on MacOS. (Users of the old Sodium build on Mac who were given an exception have until 10/05/2023 00:00 UTC to update their Sodium to this new version)
Updated Macro / Rebind Rules:
In game macros may not be used, with the following exceptions • Macros which resize the game window are allowed, but are restricted to switching between only 2 resolutions during the run. • Macros may be used between runs in order to reset worlds. We recommend a delay of at least 70ms between inputs to ensure all show up on video. Reset macros may resize the window before the run begins. • Any reset macros must be triggered manually. They cannot look at the game files or screen read in order to determine whether to reset. • Any attempt to get around this rule by automating any in game functions such as crafting will result in your run being rejected.
You may remap keys using external programs, but • Each game input may have only one key, and each key may cause only one game input. • F3 shortcuts (such as F3+c, shift+F3, etc.) can't be bound to a single button. • Inputs must be buttons - no scrolling the scroll-wheel or similar. • Rebinding "Attack/Destroy" or "Use Item/Place Block" to a keyboard button in order to abuse as an autoclicker is not allowed.
Note: SpawnJuicer is legal for SSG still. Only changes were made to limiting resolution macro to two resolutions.
Added new version split to Any% Glitchless with the following rules:
Random Seed Submission Rules:
- Sub-30 runs must submit world files, logs, and gameplay audio.
Random Seed Timing Rules:
- Runs which are not sub-30 will be timed with IGT. Runs which are sub-30 will follow the top level retiming rules.
Submission and timing rules for 1.13-1.15 will remain as they are. Check out the category rules on speedrun.com for more information. Currently submitted 1.9-1.12 runs will be moved into the correct category.
Updated Mod Rules:
• ForcePort is allowed. — 25/08/2022 • Removed noPeaceful — 14/09/2022
We have fully removed noPeaceful as its position in the rules was causing complications and the amount of runners using is extremely limited.
1.9 - 1.13:
• TabFocus is allowed. — 25/08/2022
• AntiResourceReload 1.2.1 is allowed. — 29/08/2022 Mandatory Update: Runs done after 12 September 2022 00:00 UTC with older versions of AntiResourceReload may be rejected.
In order of version. Date of rule changes can be found next to each mod listed.
Clarified Top Run RSG Timing Rules:
You may request other specific pauses be untimed so long as you provide a reason, the length of the pause, and its timestamp. Some reasons may include mental health concerns (such as panic attacks), IRL interruptions which couldn’t be reasonably avoided, fixing game lag, and other reasonings that involve things that are beyond the runners control.
Clarified that pausing to fix game lag issues, such as dragon lag, is a valid reason to request an untimed pause.
Added to 1.16 Any% RSG submission rules:
• WR Contending runs must contact a mod ASAP, preferably by opening a thread in the #help channel in our Discord and pinging moderators, with their Minecraft instances still open and while still recording. Getting evidence zipped in a VC with the runner helps make the process much smoother on our end.
Updated Mod Rules:
• Anchiale 1.0.2 is allowed. — 01/07/2022
• BiomeThreadLocalFix 1.3 is allowed. — 21/06/2022
• Sodium 0.2.1 build.10 by jan-leila is allowed. — 27/06/2022 Mandatory Update: Runs done after 10 July 2022 00:00 UTC with older versions of Sodium will be rejected.
In order of version. Date of rule changes can be found next to each mod listed.
Clarified rebinding rules:
• You may remap keys using external programs. • Rebinding "Attack/Destroy" or "Use Item/Place Block" to a keyboard button in order to abuse as an autoclicker is not allowed.
Added rules to Co-op section in main rules:
- The entirety of the run (from time start to end) must be done on a external server or while Open to LAN
- F3+I is a banned F3 function in co-op
- The only cheats allowed in co-op are /time set 0 at the beginning of the run, and /difficulty for being able to change difficulties
- Setting difficulty to peaceful is not allowed unless specified. We recommend not using the difficulty button in the settings menu
- Any user with cheats enabled must be recording
Changed version in Ninjabrain-Bot resource:
• Ninjabrain-Bot [Ninjabrain1] (up to v1.3.1)
Split select categories affected by the 1.19 update:
• Added 1.19 split to All Advancements. • Added 1.19+ split to How Did We Get Here? • Added 1.19+ split to All Wood Logs. • Added 1.19+ split to Kill All Bosses: ‣ Kill the Ender Dragon, a Wither, an Elder Guardian, and a Warden. • Added Kill Warden subcategory to Kill Bosses.
Added a new category extension (full Netherite):
Cover Me in Debris:
• Get the advancement "Cover Me in Debris". • End time when the notification appears.
Updated CE Boards:
Archived the following boards:
• Obtain Item (Glitched) • All Swords (Glitched) • Enter Nether (Glitched)
Moved the following boards:
• Moved Etner Edn out of Misc • Moved High% into Misc • Moved STK into Misc • Moved Pride% into Misc • Moved Half% into Misc
Split Kill Elder Guardian Pre 1.9 SSG and RSG into their own categories.
These changes were designed to declutter the CE boards and remove currently unnecessary boards. You can view the archived boards here: Archived CE Boards
Added Any% Set Seed Glitchless Co-op:
• Any% Random Seed Glitchless Co-op is now called Any% Glitchless Co-op.
• Added Set Seed/Random Seed sub categories to Any% Glitchless Co-op.
• Existing co-op board and category rules are unchanged.
Updated Mod Rules:
• SleepBackground is allowed.
SleepBackground is an enhanced version of DynamicFPS that also caps FPS on the loading screen and caps polling rate when not in focus. It has shown equal CPU usage and a 50% reduction in GPU usage in testing compared to DynamicFPS.
SleepBackground can be found here: SleepBackground
Split All Portals category extension to Pre 1.9 and 1.9+.
Fill all 128 End Portals and then kill the Ender Dragon. Timing stops when you walk through the exit portal. Killing the Ender Dragon earlier is allowed, but you still must also kill it after all 128 portals are filled.
AllPortals [TheTalkingMime] is allowed for this category only.
TalkingMime's tools can be found here: AllPortals
Updated Mod Rules:
Updated Sodium 1.16.1 Backport 0.2.0+build.17 to Sodium 1.16.1 Backport 0.2.0+build.18.
Sodium 1.16.1 Backport 0.2.0+build.18 includes the following updates:
• Moves Targeted Block / Targeted Fluid to their Vanilla positions in F3 (identical to Sodium 1.16.1 Backport 0.1.1-SNAPSHOT+2021-02-12). • Reverts Video Settings menu from the Sodium menu to the Vanilla menu within runs. • Makes all Video Settings functional via the Vanilla menu (Clouds and Smooth Lighting were previously defunct via the Vanilla menu in Sodium). • Sodium menu is exclusively accessible via the Video Settings menu on the title screen and not within the gameplay segment itself. • Sodium menu can be fully disabled in the title screen via "sodium-options.json" by setting "force_vanilla_settings" to "true". • Gamma can be set up to 5.0 in-game via the Sodium Video Settings menu on the title screen. • Gamma is capped at 5.0 (setting the gamma above 5.0 in "options.txt" will result in the gamma being reverted back to 5.0 upon relaunch). • "MrMangoHands' Build" in the F3 menu has been renamed to "Speedrunning Build".
This is a mandatory update for the following reasons: • There are many significant changes that affect the gameplay segment. • Setting stricter standards to ensure every runner is using the same version of every mod. • Introducing more Vanilla parity to current mods.
Any 1.16.1 runs using versions of Sodium prior to Sodium 1.16.1 Backport 0.2.0+build.18 that are performed after 25 June 2022 00:00 UTC will be rejected.
Accessing the Sodium menu mid-run for any reason is not permitted (this does not apply to versions prior to Sodium 1.16.1 Backport 0.2.0+build.18).
The latest Sodium build can be found here: Sodium 1.16.1 Backport 0.2.0 build.18
Only resources which are outside your game that are listed here are allowed to be utilised:
- Ninjabrain-Bot (only v1.1.0) by Ninjabrain1
- StrongholdNotCalculator (only v2.0) by pjagada
- PerfectTravelBot (only v1.0.0) by FourGoesFast
- DivineHeatmapGenerator (only v1.1-alpha) by mjtb49
- Four function calculators
- Any sheets physically printed out
- Reference sheets:
- Any reference which is a subset of a legal reference is allowed.
- Any reference which references information not based on data from the F3 menu is unilaterally allowed, i.e. stronghold rings, all structure regions sheets/graphs, villager trading tables, etc.
- Four's Perfect Travel spreadsheet, axis calculated, divine fossil sheet, animal divine sheet, tree divine sheet, ravine/air cave/nether cave divine sheet, water cave divine sheet, and nether portal orientation divine sheet are allowed. Any other references which do not fall in the above categories are illegal.
If you use any resources not explicitly allowed by these rules, your run may be rejected. Only position, angle, and dimension (notably, not biome) is allowed to be used for resources that utilise F3 information. Any code based tool must be on a publicly accessible repository, i.e. GitHub.
Links to explicitly allowed resources can be found on the extended rules document at http://bombch.us/DOOK
Over the past couple of months we have been working extensively with @RedLime on a new timer mod that aims to cut down on retiming and provide runners with a more accurate time on their IGT. The use of this mod is strongly encouraged to reduce verification time and has many runner oriented features.
The mod contains many quality of life features for runners:
- Accurate IGT based on client side ticks to eliminate server / client desync.
- In-game layout / colour customisation.
- Live updating IGT.
- Built-in autosplitters for multiple categories (more categories to be added later).
- Support for 1.14+ (more versions to be added later).
Updated legal mod list: A few non-Caffeine mods are also allowed - For 1.14+: SpeedRunIGT, and noPeaceful. - For 1.15+: FabricProxy-Lite, Krypton, LazyDFU, motioNO, Voyager, Fast Reset, Autoreset, DynamicFPS, extra-options, and Force Port (co-op). - For 1.16+: Starlight.
and added relevant rule: Runs which use the SpeedRunIGT mod will utilise those times primarily, with adjustments made in case some minor bugs are found, or in cases of time removal for significant in-game lag. Top RSG run retiming will also use the splits given by the mod to calculate final board time. You may use the option to only show 0-2 decimal places, but you must submit with the full 3 decimal places. Copy and pasting the text within "igt_timer.log" (in the saves folder for the PB) into your run submission description is encouraged.
All other mods listed in this changelog post can be found on https://www.minecraftspeedrunning.com/public-resources/mods
Calculator ban is being revoked. F3+C is still allowed. Any program or macro which screen reads is not allowed, and any attempt to get around this rule will not be tolerated (i.e. taking a screenshot and a program reading from that, etc. would not be allowed). Other tools which utilise mathematical functions or macros to utilise a calculator or spreadsheet which do not interact with the game is allowed.
Based on the following factors; history in other games, community debates and arguments, consistency in a ruleset, and specifically the Calculator Poll results, calculators will be unbanned. The results of the community poll can be found below.
Total votes in this subset: 370
Unban - 58.65% Ban - 41.35% Option B - 82.97% Option C - 17.03% with rough margin of error = 5.2%
1.16+ (sub 13), 1.9-1.15 (sub 20), Pre 1.9 (sub 23):
Total votes in this subset: 35
Unban - 74.29% Ban - 25.71% Option B - 85.71% Option C - 14.29% with rough margin of error = 16.9%
1.16+ (sub 15), 1.9-1.15 (sub 25), Pre 1.9 (sub 30):
Total votes in this subset: 103
Unban - 60.19% Ban - 39.81% Option B - 87.38% Option C - 12.62% with rough margin of error = 9.85%
For any runners who aren't yet aware, we are taking a community poll on the future of calculators in Minecraft: Java Edition speedrunning. Originally posted in the Minecraft Java Speedrunning Discord and the Minecraft Speedrunning Official Twitter on 17/11/2021.
As stated in the poll description, this isn't a necessarily binding poll, nor will these necessarily be the only options considered in the final deliberation. These are the current thoughts and ideas we want community input on.
Please read the questions carefully (specifically those relating to run submission and anything used for demographic purposes). Only put an SRC link in the run submission section and use the correct time format (HH:MM:SS.XXX). Your run is only required to be submitted, pending runs are fine. If you don't have a sumbitted run, DO NOT fill out the poll. Failure to follow these instructions may result in your vote not counting in the final poll.
Comments have been disabled on the following boards:
- Minecraft: Java Edition (mc)
- Minecraft: Java Edition Category Extensions (mcce)
Removed the following rule: "All runs must be begun within 5 minutes of world generation"
Runs with long pauses will now be judged by verification team discretion. As long as the runner does not have any significant periods of inactivity and the run is otherwise okay, there is no strict hard line.
This is a PSA to remind runners that if a glitch or exploit is not explicitly allowed in a glitchless category, treat it as banned. If you are using glitches that haven't been explicitly allowed, as per the rules on speedrun.com, you are doing so at risk of your run being rejected. Yes, this is about slime spectating.