What's your favorite speedrun trick?
2 years ago
United States

Just as the title says! (Although it can be tech, a glitch, etc. too!)

If you've got a lot of favorites and can't make up your mind, just throw any of 'em. You don't even have to run the game it's from!

I think one that's particularly fascinated me is the item get clipping in LoZ: Twilight Princess. It's "speed" tech in the sense it takes hours to work, but it serves for Low% shenanigans, which I always love to see.

Put briefly, when you pick up a new item, the game stops to give you a little description of it. Minor items have Link just hold it in front of him, idling as long as the dialog is up. When programming the animation, they left out the last frame, causing Link to move ever so slightly backwards over time from root motion.

During this state, Link ignores a lot of collision, allowing speedrunners to skip a few minor items they normally couldn't... all for the cost of multiple hours.

That's just one of many favorite tricks for me, but this thread isn't just about me. So, what about you?

Merl_ and Pear like this
Finland

First thing that came to mind was the "new" ape escape 3 glitch

Hip Drop Storage https://twitter.com/ashalfmoon/status/1410213865770479616

Infinite height ANYWHERE as long as you have the slingshot gadget (gotten in level 6) and the monkey net (which you start the game with)

and you can do it unbuffered https://twitter.com/ashalfmoon/status/1410551532068638725

Merl_, Pear, and O.D.W. like this
Romania

I don't follow many games, thus my favorite trick is from the game I run, Super Mario 63.

This trick isn't used in runs because it's a meme, doesn't save any time, but it's still my favorite trick due to how dumb it is. It's called Obama Clipping and this is what it looks like:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/666008950251978762/831182555838808105/NGzCUKXfqO.gif

Essentially, talking to any toad causes them to make you slightly go through solid objects if there's any next to you, and sometimes that is enough to clip through them entirely. Unfortunately this can only be used in castle grounds so it doesn't save any time and is only done as a joke. But it's still my favorite trick.

Edited by the author 2 years ago
Merl_, Walgrey and 2 others like this
European Union

Soft-drifting. It's a trick that exists in Mario Kart Wii and 8 (WiiU and Deluxe) where you drift while holding your analog stick at a 45 degree angle instead of hard left/right (or 30 degrees in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe). It allows you to perform a drift and charge your miniturbo at the fastest possible speed while taking a wider turn than hard left/right saving time on almost every track. Here is a demonstration of soft-drifting, take note of the input display and how I use the notch in my controller to achieve 45 degrees:

This trick is not necessarily my favorite, but I love how all these small tricks (soft-drifting, spin-drifting, delay-drifting, etc.) combine to make such a simple game mechanic, drifting, turn into something so much more, and adds so much more tech and diversity to the games movement.

Merl_, Pear, and O.D.W. like this
France

my favorite trick is in Dark Souls, it's a type of fall damage cancel : if you plunge attack a ledge while falling you will be put in a temporary state that allows your character to roll once in mid-air, if you time the roll well you can roll as you land, thus i-framing the fall damage

French Southern Territories

In super blue boy planet, you can duplicate your character by dying and then re entering a level. This glitch has a bunch of uses. You can use it to skip all of the bossfights and skip having to backtrack in some levels. More complicated strategies with this glitch abuse a weird property of checkpoints to displace your spawnpoint to a more convenient location so you can retry hard tricks quickly. There are other minor uses of this trick too. Every category except for the "no duo glitch" category uses it.

Pear likes this
Vermont, USA
Ivory
He/Him, She/Her, They/Them
2 years ago

every type of clip in roblox is incredibly satisfying to perform, but my favorite is lag clipping. by holding the top bar on the window of the game a frame after pressing w to move forward you can go through walls up to a stud thick, which seems inconsequential but it's vital in almost every game.

Merl_ likes this
United States

Probably butterflying from halo 2. Basically, if an enemy is on top of the player's head, and you repeatedly press jump + melee + switch weapon, you get some upwards and backwards momentum, and from a third person pov, follows the movement of a butterfly. Saves a large chuck of time in full game with it's uses in two levels. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU_2iTCzmJw

Kkntucara and Pear like this